We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

After a week in Madeira in May, 2014, we are considering 5 days in Lisbon, Sintra, and Porto--I read that it's a 3 hr. train journey from Lisbon to Porto; 40 minutes Lisbon to Sintra. Is there a train from Sintra to Porto? My thoughts: Arrive Lisbon Mon A.M., overnight there; leave Lisbon late Tues afternoon, Tues & Wed nights in Sintra; arrive Porto on Thursday and leave on Saturday. Is that too crazy? I had my heart set on seeing the Duoro Valley...and you all have made Sintra sound like a "must do"--and how can we not see a bit of Lisbon? I'll plan specific sights once I discover if it's a reasonable plan to see 3 places in 5 days, or if it's just best to stay in Lisbon or Sintra...or Porto...and do days trips out from there. Any advice? Much appreciated.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,686 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

No direct trains or buses Sintra to Porto, you have to go back through Lisbon. Total journey time centre to centre will be around 5 hours.

Five days to 'do' Lisbon, Sintra and Porto is hardly time to scratch the surface of any and to throw in a Douro valley trip (basically all day, however you do it) is really stretching things.

Time to prioritise!

Edited: 29 March 2013, 16:44
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

Yes, somehow I knew someone would say that; sleep is essential. We have plenty of time to make decisions so I thank you for making it a little easier to do that.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

My 3 cents: too really get a small feeling of places you'll need 3 days for Lisboa, 1 for Sintra and 2 por Porto (without the Douro sightseeing).

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

Oh, you are a lover of Lisbon and one who knows the city! 3 days for Lisbon..I wonder what it is that you think we should not miss. I like that you agree that all three places are worthwhile...and, yes, thinking about it more, we could sacrifice a Sintra day and spend only one day there...but only 2 in Porto...clearly you love Lisbon and I'd love to hear why you favor it over 3 days in Porto (thinking of a full day on the river.) We are very open to suggestion! Thank you so much for your reply. Sharon

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

If I were you I would spend the 5 days or in the Lisbon Area (Lisbon + Sintra/Cascais and maybe Óbidos or Évora) or in the Porto Area (Porto + Braga + Guimarães + Douro Valley).

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

Did say 2 days for Porto (Porto itself not for Douro Valey) and 3 for Lisbon based on the fact that Porto, beautiful, as it is, is much smaller than Lisboa. Regarding things to do and see any doubts you have after reading the Top Questions (up to the right) feel free to ask.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

Where are you flying out of? If it's Lisbon, you have to factor in getting back to Lisbon. There's always the missed consideration of travelling, even for day trips, and losing time actually "being" somewhere.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

We can fly out of Lisbon or Porto; we'll be going to France after our time in Portugal. The more I read, the more inclined I am to spend all 5 days in the Porto area OR the Lisbon area. All of you help so much--many thanks.

9. Re: Lisbon, Sintra, Porto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 06:16