We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Alfama, Graca, or Castelo to rent?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Where in Alfama, Graca, or Castelo to rent?

We're looking at 5 day apt. rentals in Alfama, though I'm thinking that Castelo and Graca look very interesting, too. There are places in each of these areas that fit our budget; what I don't have is a sense of where the most desirable parts of these areas are. For instance, if we settle on Alfama, is there much of a difference in being farther south near the Rua Cais de Santarem--or is the neighborhood very different farther north, near Graca? We're in our 60, and not infirm, but without legs of steel that some of those hills seem to require! I've already inquired and there are some 1st floor flats, but that, too, is deceptive, as it seems there are neighborhoods steps up to the building. We would like accessibility to public transport, walks to cafes, views, charming streets in which to wander and sight see. We don't want an antiseptic neighborhood with high-end stores. Local flavor appeals to us. We don't need "flat" but my husband has bad knees so we'd like to use our energy on the sights and not on getting into our apt! Any advice about where to focus our search--either in a specific part of Alfama or in another area? Thank you, TA friends--I never travel without your advice. Sharon

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Alfama, Graca, or Castelo to rent?

Rua Cais de Santarem it's in a flat area, not really the tipical Alfama, let's say that it's one of the "entrances" to Alfama.

"We would like accessibility to public transport, walks to cafes, views, charming streets in which to wander and sight see" neither of them has a lot of public transports because of the narrow streets that limit the access. My preferences are, in order, Graça, Castelo and finally Alfama, but that's me.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Alfama, Graca, or Castelo to rent?

Thank you--I'll continue checking out the Graca and Castelo neighborhoods. There seem to be fewer rentals there, at least under $90. I greatly appreciate your input.

3. Re: Where in Alfama, Graca, or Castelo to rent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 05:17