We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay in Lisbon? Bairro Alto/Graca/Alfama?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay in Lisbon? Bairro Alto/Graca/Alfama?

Hi folks,

My wife and I will be going to Lisbon in mid September this year. We will be spending four nights there. I've been looking online and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the different areas and what they have to offer, so thought I'd check on here. Here are some of the things we'd like:

- Close to most hot spots by public transport or walk. We will not be renting a car.

- Not in a terribly noisy or touristy area. But not in a suburban area either. A good mix of bustling city life, with a fairly quiet neighborhood thrown in.

- If possible, views over the city skyline and the Tagus.

- If possible, a more historic/traditional and of course, safe neighborhood.

Bairro Alto, Graca and Alfama seem to pop up on every search I do. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Real Embrace Portugal
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Lisbonne a Pied - Visites Guidees
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Treino de Mar
Sightseeing Tours
Yellow Cab TT Tours
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,152 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay in Lisbon? Bairro Alto/Graca/Alfama?

Neither of these, choose Baixa/Chiado.

omaha nebraska
Level Contributor
118 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay in Lisbon? Bairro Alto/Graca/Alfama?

Hi there:

We just returned from a ten day trip to Portugal and stayed for three days in Lisbon at an apartment in Chiado, near Bairro Alto, which seems to match most of your critieria. On a very quiet street, but short walk to restaurants and shops and public transport. Here is the link: www.fadoflats.pt. We were in Chiado #3. Mario, the very friendly and pleasant owner, is across the street and has a few flats for rent in this buidling. We were on the 5th floor with two bedrooms, gorgeous views, and windows that open onto a quiet street. The apartment is modern but the area/street/building is historic. I would highly recommend the location and the place! Let me know if you have other questions! Portugal surpassed our expectations.

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay in Lisbon? Bairro Alto/Graca/Alfama?

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the Baixa/Chiado suggestions. Fadoflats look great! That room is just a bit out of our budget, and I check with them and they didn't really have anything else with those views. I'm looking for other options in that area and have shortlisted down to a few.

4. Re: Which area to stay in Lisbon? Bairro Alto/Graca/Alfama?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 05:16