We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

I am hoping to walk the new Historical route on the Rota Vincentina from Santiago do Cacem and would like to hear from anybody who has walked this and also how to get to Santiago from the airport by public transport.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,267 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

You have to take the metro or the aerobus to Sete Rios bus station (it's Jardim Zoológico metro station), then you can take a bus to Santiago do Cacém with Rede de Expressos. There are 6 per day.

yellowbustours.com/en/…

http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx

I've not walked all the Rota, just stretches, both inland (Historical route) and by the sea (fishermans route).

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,309 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

Be aware that there is very little in the way of local buses around that area, especially at weekends when virtually nothing runs.

If you are intending to go any kind of distance and then return to Lisbon or Santiago de Cacém, do plan carefully to avoid being stranded. Rede-Expressos do stop at some of the places along the way, but some are really out in the wilderness.

The local bus website is www.rodalentejo.pt and good luck with it. It is quite possibly one of the worst transport websites I have ever seen!

england
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

Thank you very much for you reply. I'm just wondering as there will be three of us if it will be easier to get a taxi? What would you think?

Kay

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,267 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

To go from Lisboa to Santiago do Cacém? Yes it will be easier but not cheap, it's 145km away and you have to pay for the taxi's return. Why don't you try a transfer company?

Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

We are planning on walking this route in October and also starting at Santiago do Cacem - did you use public transport or did you find a transfer company? any advise would be appreciated.

Coventry, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

Did you do the walk. I.m planning to walk it in October. Any tips re transport, accommodation, luggage transfer would be great,

PGB

Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

We will start walking from Santiago do Cacem October 5th maybe we will meet along the way.

8. Re: Public Transport from Lisbon airport to Santiago do Cacem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:21