We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

We're planning to visit Portugal in mid-March for about 10 nights. I was thinking to stay 5 nights in Lisbon and 5 nights in Porto. But after i read some articles, i'm thinking to staty in Lisbon 6 nights and 4 in Porto. Except that Lisbon is bigger and has more to offer, also look like that much more day trips can be taken from Lisbon. Is it correct? Any suggestion please?

Which 1 day trips from Porto worth taking? Guimarães? Braga? Something else?

Which 1 day trips from Lisbon worth taking? Sintra? Obidos? Evora? Tomar? Something else?

Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,017 reviews
from US$81.00*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
282 reviews
from US$145.80*
US$162.00
Lisbon Small-Group Gourmet Portuguese...
342 reviews
from US$48.60*
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

There's plenty to do from both cities, even should you stay there for a few weeks.

From Porto you can visit Guimarães and Braga in one day. Here's a nice tripreport about it: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k44613…

Furthermore you could spend at least a day for the Douro valley: http://www.dourovalley.eu/en/pagegen.aspx

Another visit could be Coimbra: www.turismodecoimbra.pt/index.php?lang=en

From Lisbon it's a 'should' to visit Sintra. parquesdesintra.pt/en/….UViuP3BBp0o

http://www.cm-sintra.pt/Itinerarios.aspx?ID=4

Evora (also an Unesco heritage): …cm-evora.pt/guiaturistico/…itinerary.htm

Obidos, yes and you could combine it with Peniche on the coast. Tomar is a bit further away. Maybe you can stop there on your way up to Porto.

www.visitportugal.com

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

To get to Douro valley do I need to rent a car? Generally, does it worth to rent a car for couple of days? Any good attractions that is not accessible by train?

Except Guimarães and Braga , what other side day trips from Porto is worth to take?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

For the Douro valley you can take a day cruise out of Porto or you can take the train. The first hour in the train is not very interesting, the further you go, the better it gets. You can go all the way to Pocinho. Should you take the train, there are two places worth for a stop, Pinhão and Peso da Régua. From both you can also take a mini-cruise on the river.

Everything is accessible either by train but more often by bus. Our train network is not that extended.

I already mentioned Coimbra. You could take the train to Aveiro on the coast or take the bus to Viseu (inland). You can even go up North into Spain.

Don't forget to see Porto itself, 1-2 days will give you a good impression.

You can rent a car but it's not really necessary.

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

Thanks a lot for replies!

Regarding trains...if I buy tickets from A to B and train stops also in C (in the middle of route). Can we get out of the train and board next one in 2-3 hours using the same tickets?

Also was wondering about buses that runs from Lisbon or Porto to other cities...is there any central bus station in Lisbon/Porto from where all buses are depart or every direction has different bus stations?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

Here's a link with more info. on train travel. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189100-c155341/Portu…

stretches ask for reservations which come with compulsory seat reservation. Therefore you can not interrupt your journey, but you can buy 2 different tickets. For regional trains without reservations you can get out and board again.

There are various bus stations in both Lisbon and Porto. It depends on the bus company which station is used.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 22:52
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

We recently had 13 days split between Lisbon and Porto. I would recommend splitting your time a bit longer in Lisbon. In Lisbon the sights are quite far apart, so you will spend time travelling between them. The metro is very good. If you like historical palaces then Sintra is a must visit, you could easily do two day trips here. A trip to the sea at Cascais is also good. Local trains from Lisbon/Porto are regular and cheap.

In Porto, the main attractions are packed into a smaller area so it is possible to visit several in a day. We enjoyed a day trip to Guimaraes. Depending on your budget you might want time to take a boat trip up the Duoro, our budget didn't stretch that far.

The train between Lisbon and Porto is very good, but was full, glad we booked our tickets in advance.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 15:40
Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

After checking air fares....maybe we'll go also for 2 weeks (prices much cheaper this way and flights are direct).... george2997 , how did you split your 13 days? I'm just thinking if it's worth to have 3rd accommodation booking , in addition to Lisbon and Porto ?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

Hi, we spent 8 days in Lisbon and 4 in Porto and one day travelling. We found this to be enough time in Porto, but we didn't spend a day on a river cruise.

Thinking about a third accomodation, I have read that Coimbra may be good, but with staying in Lisbon and Porto you have a lot of opportunites for day trips on the local trains. They are cheap and regular and run late in the evening, so you can have a full day out. One more tip, we travelled on Sunday, and I regret that, because a lot of the attractions in Lisbon are free on a Sunday.

Lisbon, Portugal
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

Sintra is a must-see. You can easily spend 1 or even 2 days there since you have the castle, monestaries, palaces and numerous gardens/parks to visit - for that you can take the train it should not take over 1h.

Evora is a historical city with lots of roman ruins to see and if you are a wine lover, you can visit some wine-cellars around too.

10. Re: 10 days in Portugal. Please help to plan.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 06:21