We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy bacalao

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
where to buy bacalao

I am visiting Lisbon for a couple days and would love to take a load of salt cod back home with me, as it is impossible to get it in the US where I live. I am staying near the museum of natural history. Where can I buy some good bacalao that is close by? Thanks!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy bacalao

You can find it in all supermarkets BUT you will not get far with it. The moment you arrive in the US they will take it from you. It is not allowed to bring food into the US.

Best to find a P'gese shop in the US or ask one of the Portuguese restaurants in Seattle.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,258 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy bacalao

In Lisboa, we go to the small shops at "Rua do Arsenal" it's between the city hall and Cais do Sodré train station.

Here's a site for portuguese food at the states portuguesefood.com/categories/…

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy bacalao

Oh no, I didn't think about whether i would be able to bring it out of the country. Thanks for the heads up. There are no Portuguese restaurants in Seattle and shipping from online stores is brutal but I guess I have no choice. Thanks!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy bacalao

No one will stop you taking food out of Portugal :)

Try this store in Seattle: http://www.lusoseattle.com/

Their website (under About) says they sell bacalhau.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 09:06
5. Re: where to buy bacalao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:20