We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal Safety in Lisbon

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Personal Safety in Lisbon

We are visiting Lisbon for the first time, next weekend. We had our wallets stolen on the last two visits to France and wondered how safe it is for tourists walking around Lisbon both during the day and in the evening? Are there any particular areas we should avoid?

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
986 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

hi sallyM,no city is crime free so just use common sense and i'm sure you'll be fine.i've visited lisbon alone more times than i can remember and from my experiences i find the atmosphere and the people friendly and welcoming.rightly or wrongly everything gets labelled so just be aware if you catch tram 28 to keep your valuables close to you.enjoy your trip,i'm sure you'll come back to blighty with good memories.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

Lisbon is safer than most other European capitals.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

As any other major city Lisbon is not crime free, be more attentive at the entrance and exit of public transportations and take normal precautions as you would elsewhere, but do not be too worried. Hope you have fun and that everything runs smoothly.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

Thank you - that sounds a most sensible precaution.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

My wife and I are in our late sixties. Last year, we spent 8 nights in Lisbon, wandering all over the place, and never felt in danger.

If you have had wallets stolen in two visits to France, this might indicate some problem in learning from experience. In any major city anywhere in Europe (including London), one should always be alert for possible pickpockets and keep valuables tucked well away.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

You've already been given good advice, but I will stress a few points. Even though Lisbon is a pretty safe city, there are those who will take advantage of inattentiveness. Pickpockets may pose as tourists themselves to get you to let your guard down. Keep your bag/purse in front of you and don't keep your wallet or anything in your back pockets. Exercise extra caution on Tram 28 - you may want to avoid it altogether at times when it is packed. The number one tip I have is: "Be aware at all times of the people around you".

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

And on the number 15 tram to Belem, where organised gangs have a well rehearsed ploy to relieve you of your valuables.

But when they tried it on someone who was obviously an off duty police officer or military, they got a real battering for their efforts. Saw that myself a couple of years ago.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

We read (and were somewhat surprised by) a similar thread before we visited Lisbon in September/ October of this year. We spent 2 weeks in the city, staying in Alfama and using metro, bus, and tram to get to various other parts of the city. We are BIG walkers and covered a lot of ground during our visit. And we have to say that this is one of the safest- seeming cities we've ever visited. We found the metro to be remarkably uncrowded compared to many cities, even at rush hours, so it was easy to monitor one's immediate environment. Only once did we feel the need to make a U-turn, and that was because of a few obvious crack-heads occupying a small plaza we intended to pass-through... pretty normal big city stuff. After dark stay in well-lit & occupied streets, and walk confidently as if you are familiar with your surroundings.

As others have said, be attentive, don't make your valuables available, and when in crowded areas move with purpose. Lisbon is a charming and friendly city- you should have a wonderful time!

9. Re: Personal Safety in Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:18