We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxes on accommodation

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
79 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
taxes on accommodation

Do we have to pay any taxes in addition to apartment charges in Portugal?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,407 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxes on accommodation

Depends. Some long term rentals include the annual IMI (basically a local council tax) some don't. As a homeowner I pay an annual IMI to my local council for services such as waste disposal, street lighting, the usual stuff. If I rented to you I would include it in the charge I made. Simpler that way.

Best to ask and make sure, as it can be several hundred Euros per annum.

Likewise some rentals include gas, water and electricity, many do not.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,573 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxes on accommodation

What kind of apartment, an apartment for 1/2 weeks vacations or for a long rental?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
79 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxes on accommodation

4 weeks furnished and includes all utilities. I will certainly ask him before I book, but before I do, I just wanted to be sure if it was customary to pay extra for taxes.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxes on accommodation

Hmm, never heard of 4 week rental's in Portugal attracting taxes!

Utilities yes!

Where did you find this apartment?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
79 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxes on accommodation

I am sorry, I have not communicated properly. To clarify... I have not been asked for taxes.

I was just asking the question prior to booking so I would be for warned.

The booking website is ownersdirect.com and this particular apartment has rave reviews.

On the website it states that the prices shown exclude taxes, this will be because it also promotes apartments in other countries which do attract taxes.

So, thank you all for your very valued advice, I now know not to expect to be asked for taxes. (and if I am I will question it).

6. Re: taxes on accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:18