We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please!

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help please!

I'm arriving in Lisbon on March 5th. I am planning on three nights there. I'm not sure where to go next. I'm traveling via train (have not yet bought my EU rail pass, still debating on whether single tickets may be cheaper).

I'm thinking Lisbon-->Porto-->Salamanca-->San Sebastian-->Bordeaux (?)

Ultimately, I need to end up in France. The train rides seem awfully long. I'm looking for maybe another town or two to break up the rides.

Feeling lost and confused by all this train map travel! Your help is appreciated.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please!

Hi,

I didn't understand if you are trying to travel around just using the train or... if you want to go from Lisbon to France (?) by train and just need to break down the trip in smaller pieces.

cheers,

miguel

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please!

Yes. Just looking for a direct route to get from Lisbon to France with some nice stops in between. Thanks!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please!

Ok...so the easiest way is to get the international train Lisbon to Hendaye, called Sud Express.

In Portugal the most interesting stop along the way is Coimbra (going to Porto is actually a detour)

in Spain, you should ask in the spanish foruns...but I would Think about Salamanca, Burgos, and San Sebastian.

Anyway this is a night train...so you'll leave Lisbon beginning of the evening and arrive to the French border, next day around noon.

cheers,

miguel

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please!

If you break it up like you wrote above Lisbon-->Porto-->Salamanca-->San Sebastian-->Bordeaux and enjoy some sightseeing in between, you will not even notice it's long.

The journey is part of the experience? Train journeys are fun, you get to see a lot and meet nice people.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please!

Ok.. like FTHW said if you're looking for the "train journey" experience, don't forget that Sud Express is a night train. It will arive in Salamanca around 5AM, most travel partners will be sleeping and sightseeing will be mstly a nocturnal experience.

Regarding the spanish leg I would say that you would choose other trains to get to the french border and the above issues aren't relevant.

cheers,

miguel

P.S. Many years ago I did Interrail across Europe and night trains were great, great fun... but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for :-)

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please!

You can change your plans and fly Porto - Bordeaux with low cost airline Ryanair.

Or low cost airline Easyjet from Lisbon to Bordeaux

In that way you have more time to spend in Portugal.

How many days do you have in total, before you need to be in Bordeaux? And what are your interests?

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help please!

Thank you ! That's very helpful. Do you think it would be worth it to do a day trip to Porto from Lisbon?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help please!

Porto is great and worth more than one day. Also the surroundings are very nice for visits, for instance the Douro valley. portoturismo.pt/Visitar/Paginas/default.aspx

http://www.dourovalley.eu/en/pagegen.aspx

www.visitportugal.com

Edited: 04 January 2014, 21:18
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help please!

And you have how many days to go from Lisboa to France? 1 , 3 , 5, 7, 10 days? Coimbra , Porto , Salamanca, San Sebastian and others are very interesting cities to stay and visit, do you have time for that?http://www.seat61.com/

10. Re: Itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19