We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aero Bus and Viagem Card Questions

Silver Spring, MD...
Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Aero Bus and Viagem Card Questions

I thought I read that if you purchase a ticket on the Aero Bus (3.50 Euro, or a little less if purchased online), you can use the ticket on trams and buses in Lisbon for 24 hours in addition to riding the Aero Bus. Is this true?

For the 24 hour pass, how to purchase one that covers buses, trams, elevadores, and Metro? I think I need to buy a viagem card first and then load the pass onto it, but is that the regular 6 euro pass, or does that one exclude the Metro system? I know Metro and Carris are run by different operators. Are there 2 different viagem cards - one for use with Metro along with Carris, and one without?

Where in Belem does the CP train stop? Is it anywhere near the waterfront, or is the tram about the only way to get to the Torre de Belem and Discoveries Monument? Does the 24 hour pass cover use of the train within Lisbon (for example, to get to Orient)?

Thank you.

Torre de Belem
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Monuments & Statues, Neighbourhoods, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,663 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aero Bus and Viagem Card Questions

"if you purchase a ticket on the Aero Bus (3.50 Euro, or a little less if purchased online), you can use the ticket on trams and buses in Lisbon for 24 hours in addition to riding the Aero Bus." No longer.

"For the 24 hour pass, how to purchase one that covers buses, trams, elevadores, and Metro?" The only one that exists covers all this. You buy the support card (VivaViagem - 0,5€) then you choose "24h ticket" and load it on the card.

"Are there 2 different viagem cards - one for use with Metro along with Carris, and one without?" No the support card is valid on every public transport.

"Does the 24 hour pass cover use of the train within Lisbon (for example, to get to Orient)?" No the 24h ticket does not include the trains. Go to Oriente by metro.

"is the tram about the only way to get to the Torre de Belem and Discoveries Monument?" No, you also have buses going there and if you have the 24h ticket you should take either the bus or tram. The train stops at "Belem" which is close to Belem Palace (the house of the president). But no portuguese will take the train to go to Belem, it's much more expensive... metrolisboa.pt/eng/…findtherightticket.pdf

Silver Spring, MD...
Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aero Bus and Viagem Card Questions

Thank you very much. That answers all of my questions, and I looked at the "Find the Right Ticket" brochure, too.

A couple more questions, just in case you know the answers:

A few past cruisers have mentioned (and filmed) a fantastic lightshow at the Arch of Augusta at night. Is that something that is regularly shown, or was that perhaps a one-time or one-day thing? It looked fabulous.

Also, I have plenty of information about Sintra, should I be able to squeeze in enough time to go there, but one part is missing. I know you take the train from Rossio and then bus 434 (or a taxi) from the Sintra station. However, I'm trying to figure out about how long it then takes to walk up to (or down from?) the bus stop for Pena Palace to the palace. I am not a fantastic walker, and I won't have lots ot time, so I am looking for this information. Someone mentioned a tram or bus that takes you from the 434 bus stop to the palace, but so far I've not been able to find concrete information about it.

Also, do you have any idea of whether the taxi drivers in Sintra take people to the palace, and if so, how much they charge? I know it's not far, but it's not exactly an easy road to drive to from what I've heard.

Can you see the different, colorful parts of the palace from the bus stop without going all the way there?

If you don't know the answers to these questions, is there a tourism office I could email to ask, either in Lisbon or Sintra?

Thanks much for your help, and for giving me the info about the 7 Collines ticket.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,663 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aero Bus and Viagem Card Questions

"fantastic lightshow at the Arch of Augusta at night." it was probably last year during the summer, it were the celebrations of the reopening of the Arch (it has been covered to cleaning works and to install an elevator so that people can go to the terrace and see the views).

Sintra - you can see the colourful palace from lots of places and also from outside... but for that the pictures are far better because they searched the best angles and those are not available without walking.

Transports - Lisboa, take the train at Rossio, exit at the last station in Sintra, take bus 434 (or taxi). The bus exit (or the taxi) will leave you at the main entrance gate this entrance is trought the gardens (taxis are not allowed inside the gardens). Buy your entrance ticket, cross the entrance take the green bus (paying an extra 2€) and you'll be very close to the palace. You still have to walk a bit, be aware that the palace has a lot of steps and you have to go up and down and walk a lot inside.

All this info is also available on your other post tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189164-i1529-k731…

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aero Bus and Viagem Card Questions

I was in Sintra the 1st part of this month.

I walked up the hill to Pena Palace from the grounds entrance (where bus 434 drops people off) in about 10 mins, it may have been a bit less but it is bit of an incline.

Once the bus gets you the entrance of Pena, the palace is only slightly visible from that spot, there are many trees in the way. Come to think it, may be during some parts of the year Pena can not be seen from the grounds entrance. There is a green, tram/trolly/train on wheels thing which takes people from just inside the gate up the hill. The tram ticket is 2 euro in addition to the park ticket you choose.

Indeed the road up to both the castle and Pena is an interesting one. I can't imagine why a taxi would not take you, I don't know the price, he would be dropping you in the same place the bus does.

As a side note ~ I truly believe every one should have a look at Pena Palace.

Enjoy your visit.

5. Re: Aero Bus and Viagem Card Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:16