We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Lisbon - Sept 2014

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Lisbon - Sept 2014

We are traveling to Europe from Australia in Sept/Oct 2014 with first destination being Lisbon for 6 nights prior to heading to Venice. Looking for some feedback around whether to spend the 6 nights in Lisbon or say 3/4 in Lisbon and 2/3 at say Sintra or Cascais. Currently leaning towards the 6 days in Lisbon and then day trips to the beach. Sofitel Liberdade appears to be well positioned and not too expensive but would also appreciate any feedback for of something similar standard that is better located. Thank you

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Lisbon - Sept 2014

It depends on your interests really. You could make Lisbon your base and take day trips from there. If you would enjoy seeing more of Sintra (there's too much for one day), you could stay there, although at night it's not as alive as Lisbon.

If you choose Cascais it would be more to relax and spend time at the beach.

The Sofitel Liberdade is a good location. The Avenida da Liberdade neighborhood is good and you can walk down into the city. You'll also have plenty of restaurants around in the hotel area.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 10:28
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Lisbon - Sept 2014

Avenida da Liberdade is a good location and Sofitel a good choice, for an hotel.

But I agree with FTHW: one day is too short to enjoy Sintra. Before Venice, I would stay at least one night in Sintra and really visit it a little bit more as it deserves.

And there are good hotels there too. Enjoy!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Lisbon - Sept 2014

Thank you FTHW and Hangar for your responses (and also Joao for your message). Living in N.E. Australia we have lots of beautiful beaches nearby and whilst keen to visit some beaches around Lisbon that is not the focus of our visit (we are also planning 6 nights on Mykonos later in our vacation before heading to Istanbul). As all have endorsed the Sofitel I think we will base there. I appreciate that at all holiday destinations you could spend endless amounts of time but think a day trip to each of Sintra and Cascais along with time discovering Lisbon will be a good mix. Again if anyone has a better suggestion for a day trip would love to hear. Thank you

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Lisbon - Sept 2014

If you have time, see Evora. You can take either the train or bus. It's also an Unesco heritage and further east from Lisbon (interior).

…cm-evora.pt/guiaturistico/…itinerary.htm

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Lisbon - Sept 2014

I believe Obidos, a medieval village about 80 Km north of Lisbon, could also be a great experience for you.

6. Re: 6 days in Lisbon - Sept 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:21