We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

Hi,

I am planning my first trip to Portugal in April. I want to visit Tomar and Batalha, but I am short of time, is it possible to visit both places in one day by public transport? I know they are not really close to each other, but may be there is a way?

Thanks in advance!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

IMO you'll see nothing and will spend lots of time traveling, but here's the info. From Lisboa to Tomar there are several trains per day https:/…lisboa_tomar_lisboa.pdf

From Tomar to Batalha there are bus connections (Rodoviária do Tejo), site only in portuguese rodotejo.pt/horarios/…0

From Batalha to Lisboa there are bus connections 5 per day, the last one departs at 6pm. http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

Basically you can leave Lisbon at 07.56 (Oriente station), arriving in Tomar 09.49 (nothing opens before 10 am). It would give you less than 3 hours to spend in Tomar, which is not much!

If you leave Tomar at 12.52 you arrive 14.28 in Batalha to spend a few hours there.

The last bus leaves Batalha at 18.15 and arrives in Lisbon at 20.15

http://www.tomarportugal.com/

www.portugal-info.net/costaprata/batalha.htm

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

Thanks so much for the info!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

Could you please tell, are the bus and train stations in Tomar and Batalha far from the sights? How much time is approximately needed to get there?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

The bus stop in Batalha is about 5 minutes walk from the monastery which is really the only sight to see there. In Tomar the railway station and bus station are 500 - 800 metres from several of the sights, which are in different areas around town some minutes from each other. You check a map and figure our

the best route.

If you plan to travel on Saturday or Sunday please do check bus times carefully as most buses between Tomar and Batalha operate only on weekdays.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

I would turn the itinerary around. You could take an early Rede Expressos bus from Lisbon Sete Rios (metro Jardim Zoologico) to Batalha. It leaves as early as 07.00 and arrives at 09.00 (weekdays).

From Batalha there's a bus to Tomar at 12.01, arriving at 13.45 hrs. I think in Tomar the bus terminal is adjacent to the train station Cubsur? http://goo.gl/maps/uXg2r

There is a train which leaves Tomar at 20.11 and arrives in Lisbon Entrecampos at 22.35 or if you really want to stretch it, the last train leaves at 22.11 and arrives 00.41

Edited: 26 February 2014, 08:42
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

I was also considering starting from Batalha because trains from Tomar to Lisbon are more frequent than buses from Batalha to Lisbon. And if the evening bus from Batalha to Lisbon doesn't show up for some reasons, it'll be a problem. 3 hours in batalha seem to be more than enough.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

Glad it's all going to work out well. Here are the opening hours for Batalha monastery:

www.mosteirobatalha.pt/en/index.php… It fits in very well with your arrival time. They also do guided tours, maybe you can join one: www.mosteirobatalha.pt/en/index.php…

If you have time in Tomar, see the Synagoge, it's the oldest in Portugal. You'll find it right in the center of the town.

Have a nice trip!

Edited: 26 February 2014, 10:08
9. Re: Day trip from Lisbon to Tomar and Batalha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23