We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro tickets

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Metro tickets

Hello everyone,

in a couple of days I will have a business trip to Lisbon, which was requested at very short notice (so I have really little time to organise myself).

I have been quickly browsing through Metro Lisboa website and I have seen that there is a very convenient connection via Metro from the airport to Oriente, where my hoteel is located.

I am not sure, though, whether single "paper" tickets are available or whether the only way to use the Metro (even with a single fare ticket) is through a Viva Viagem card, as the website seems to suggest ...

Is Viva Viagem card mandatory for travelling in the Metro network also on single fare tickets?

Also, I see that a single fare ticket is valid for an hour on Metro and Carris; is interchange allowed? E.g.: if I want to go to Bairro Alto for dinner, can I take Red line in Oriente and switch onto green line until Chiado with just one ticket? And in case I am still within the hour, can I hop onto Elevador de Santa Justa to Largo do Carmo (operated by Carris) with the same ticket?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before (I would usually "do my homework" and research more deeply myself, if I hadn't such a short preadvice!)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,726 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro tickets

"Is Viva Viagem card mandatory for travelling in the Metro network also on single fare tickets?" Yes it is.

"can I take Red line in Oriente and switch onto green line until Chiado with just one ticket?" Yes you can, because you'll not exit the station when changing lines.

"And in case I am still within the hour, can I hop onto Elevador de Santa Justa to Largo do Carmo (operated by Carris) with the same ticket?" No, elevadores fares are not equivalent to buses, that interchange is for bus only (I've never done it I don't known how it works.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro tickets

Great, thanks for clarifying!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,047 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro tickets

You cannot use a single trip ticket for both bus and metro, but you can use a 'zapping' card or the one day pass on any transport in the city.

4. Re: Metro tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:17