We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cristo Rei, Carmo Convent, Elevadors and Lavra Elevador

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Silver Spring, MD...
Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Cristo Rei, Carmo Convent, Elevadors and Lavra Elevador

Couple (at least) questions:

To get to Cristo Rei, I know I have to take the boat from Cais do Sodre, then a bus. I know where to catch the bus after taking the cacilhas (spelling correct?). However, what I'm not sure of is where the bus takes me. Does it go directly to Cristo Rei, where I can take the elevator to the pedastal at the feet? I've seen pictures of a big, tall elevator near the water and I'm confused as to how this ties into the statue, and whether that's the one to the feet or something else.

Also, probably a dumb question: Can I assume I can take each elevador up as well as down? Also, they're pretty short, with no stopping in between, right, or if I see something I like, can I get off? Of course, in that case I realize I may have to walk the rest of the way!

Are they done fixing/restoring the Lavra elevador? Carris' website says they were to be working through April on it, but haven't updated their site (or at least the English translation) to reflect whether it's running now or still down.

I want to see Carmo Convent, plus the viewpoint, but am a little confused as to where everything is. I think there is a walkway from the Santa Justa elevador there, but I'll be in Lisbon on a busy August weekend and am expecting the elevador line to be extremely long, so I don't want to have to rely on it. If I look at a map and find Carmo Square and the convent, will I be able to figure out where I need to go for a good viewpoint?

I will be in Lisbon on Aug. 15, the Feast of the Assumption. Some public transportation I assume will be running on less frequent schedules, right? Is the 15th considered a major holiday or just a religious one? I'm wondering what will be closed, open or running different hours, etc.

I plan to buy the Carris 24 hour ticket.

Oh, almost forgot: Can you go up in the Torre de Vasco de Gama? Is there a charge? Can you just go up and take in the view, or do you need to go to a restaurant or something? I'm familiar with the Teleferico, but can't really figure out if the Torre itself is something to explore.

Obrigada and thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Edited: 21 May 2014, 16:03
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,646 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cristo Rei, Carmo Convent, Elevadors and Lavra Elevador

"Is the 15th considered a major holiday or just a religious one?" Religious and you'll see no diference to a regular day on shops, restaurants and sights. Just the public offices will be closed.

Torre de Vasco de Gama is an hotel, if they have a restaurant/bar on the top you can go there.

The bus at Cacilhas for Cristo-Rei has its final stop at Cristo Rei www.tsuldotejo.pt/ver_horario.php…

To take that elevator that goes to "Almada Velha" you have to walk from Cristo-Rei till the Castelo (Castle) area and then after descending on the elevador a long walk along the river trought a very dilapidated old industrial area. The views are great, and you'll encounter some restaurants there.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
816 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cristo Rei, Carmo Convent, Elevadors and Lavra Elevador

The big, tall elevator near the water has nothing to do with the Cristo Rei -- that elevator just goes up to Almada Velha. Here's something you can do, though. Go all the way up (it's one euro, for the return trip -- there are no mid-levels), exit and go a little way out. Just a few meters down the road in the direction of the residential areas, you will see Casa da Cerca (the whitewashed walls that you see as you exit the elevator area is the place). This is an old manor house that has been converted to a small museum. Go through the reception which has a door to the garden. This garden opens to the most spectacular view of Lisbon. Entrance to the Casa da Cerca is free.

Silver Spring, MD...
Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cristo Rei, Carmo Convent, Elevadors and Lavra Elevador

Thank you, both for the information, especially on Cristo Rei. I thought somehow that elevator I've seen pictures of was related. It sounds like a very interesting trip to the Almada Valha area, but I probably won't have time to go there as well as to Cristo Rei.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cristo Rei, Carmo Convent, Elevadors and Lavra Elevador

Additional info. You can get a good viewpoint right next to Convento do Carmo. Check this route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.7120348,-9.1407113/38.7120435,-9.1399499/@38.7120178,-9.1407938,75m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e2

If walk this way you'll reach the top of Santa Justa Elevator :)

5. Re: Cristo Rei, Carmo Convent, Elevadors and Lavra Elevador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:15