We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photographing Lisbon

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Photographing Lisbon

I'll be in Lisbon from June 13 to 20.

I am interested in learning about optimal vantage points from which to take photos, particularly (but not exclusively) at night. I am thinking of the kinds of vantage points that a tourist might not easily discover just by walking around the main tourist spots or following a guidebook. For example, I've seen some great shots of the Vasco do Gama bridge at dusk and sunrise, but I'm not sure precisely where I would go to get the best shot.

On a related note, I would be eager to hear any advice regarding photography tours -- particularly night tours.

Thanks in advance!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photographing Lisbon

Only Lisbon or also the some surroundings? Lisboa has it's annual festivities in June, some events may be of interest for you to photograph, but you'll miss the most unique events that occur on the night of June 12, June 13 is a local holiday. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189158-i203-k7495…

I've sent you a PM.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Photographing Lisbon

I'll be in Lisbon around the same time (June 10 to 15) and would also be interested in photography tours. I hope someone has suggestions...

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photographing Lisbon

I've sent you a PM

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
816 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photographing Lisbon

One of the the best views of Lisbon is from the other side. Just take a short ferry ride from Cais do Sodre to Cacilhas, and catch stunning panoramic views of the entire Lisbon while on the ferry. Better yet, walk along the riverside as soon as you exit the ferry station, and walk as far as the elevator. Take your pick of views, including the 25 de Abril bridge, below near the river edge, or above the cliff where the elevator can take you (for a 1euro fee, up and down). Late afternoon shots are the best for these views, rather than dawn shots.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photographing Lisbon

Thank you for this great and detailed advice!

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
30 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photographing Lisbon

I will be there in July - any tips for me 64novpt with regards to photography tours or where to go for good shots?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photographing Lisbon

I've sent you a PM. For me Lisboa has the most beautiful light in the world...

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photographing Lisbon

Hello Chatznsf,

There are several well publicised Miradouro's, elevated public access viewpoints, that offer superb photographic opportunities. Also, and as far as I can tell- not at all publicised, are the rooftop gardens of central Lisbon hotels. So far I've visited the following and found some interesting perspectives on urban monuments as well as, for me, satisfying compositions of urban features:

Tivoli hotel

Eden hotel

Altis Avenida

Mundial hotel

Bairro Alto hotel

I also talked my way to the roof garden of the Memmo hotel Alfama. Very kind staff here also gave me a cup of coffee gratis while sitting by their red tiled first floor horizon pool looking out over the rooftops down to a berthed cruise ship. Heaven. I also used the roof garden of a hotel above the Chiado shopping centre, but can't remember its name. Enquire Amazens shopping centre enquiry desk for entrance.

St Vincent de Foz, Belem tower, and the Discoveries monument all offer striking and multiple photo opportunities.

I would endorse the suggestion by another contributor to your thread, that you take advantage of the ferries. I would further suggest a two hour river cruise which will take you from Praca Tereira (spelling?) upstream to near Vasco da Gama, downstream to Tore Belem before returning to Praca Tereira 300m from Praca Commercio in Baixa Pombalina. But perhaps do your landside forays first to identify photo opportunities and t avoid missing distant but significant features passed while crusing the Tejo.

I've done all of this on my last visit a few weeks ago. This is a very photogenic city, and I've taken perhaps a thousand shots of it during three visits in the last six months.

Regards,

Garry

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
30 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photographing Lisbon

I would highly recommend landEscape walks (they have a Facebook page) if you wish to be shown around Lisbon and its surrounds, and taken to places off the beaten track - guide for small groups up to a maximum of 8 or 10, normally less. Ask for Fernanda!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photographing Lisbon

Thanks for all of this detailed information! It was extremely helpful.