We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

7 June after a long journey from Sicily we, a pair of 67 year olds took a taxi to our apartment in Bairro Alto. We had been told that the fare would be about 15 euro. When we arrived he wanted 63 euros. We were tied and despite him changing the meter which read 24 euro to read 63 we paid him 50 so to get get rid of him. Fool and their money soon departed?

What to do?

There is a police station at Restauradores that deals with matters relating to tourists. They are very much aware of this practice and will do their best to apprehend these thieves.

I did not get the car rego but did get the taxi number, 2096. We should have taken a photo of him and the rego.

Don't get caught like we did.

Lisbon is a very interesting city.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

I would have 1 asked up front what the price would be. Was it the cab driver who quoted 15 Euro? 2 taken a photo of him 3 taken a photo of the cabs id number and license. 4 Offered up the amount he told you up front.

5 called the police.

We've been to Lisbon a few times and never had a problem with a taxi, and often had cabbies go out of their way for us. Can't say the same for a lot of other EU countries.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

It was the Tourist Info that advised the price. I did ask for a quote but was ignored. Yes, should have taken photos and called the police. Not so easy when you are in a country that you don't know, you don't speak the language and are travel weary, hence my reason for this post. And yes, the people that we have encountered elsewhere have been very good (normal). Not criticism Lisboners or the Portugese.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 08:20
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

I would bet that every city in the world has taxi drivers fleecing weary travellers. I am pleased to read that you won't consider it a bad reflection on Lisbon etc as a whole.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

Our experience thus far in Lisbon and Portugal, with the exception of one person has been wonderful. Lisbon is a very beautiful city with beautiful people. I shall be recommending it to friends in Australia as it was also recommended to us. I hope that Portugal does really well in the World Cup!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

Hi,

Unfortunately these situations happens sometimes on journeys from the Airport. Fortunately inside the city taxis don’t charge over the regular price.

To avoid it there is the Taxi voucher that can be bought at the airport and other cheap and practical alternatives like the Aerobus or the Metro.

Enjoy Lisboa!

UK
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

I have just had a similar problem with a taxi from the airport to Cascais, we were told by our hotel it would be approx 40 euros, when we arrived at the hotel the meter was turned off and he told us it was 70 euros! We never asked the driver prior to the journey as the hotel had advised us this was the best way. Advise everyone to check approx price before getting in a taxi at the airport!! Our driver spoke no english and it was very late, we just assumed we would pay the price on the meter.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

Sorry to hear of your experience. My advice is to report it to the police. They have CCTV at the airport taxi rank, they may just find the culprit.

Despite this bad experience, I do hope that you enjoy Lisbon and surrounds.

8. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 16:38
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

Sorry to hear about your experience. Have a look under top questions (to the right on this page). "taxi fares and more"

10. Re: Beware of thieving taxi drivers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:16