We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Libon & Porto or Lisbon & Madeira ?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indonesia
Level Contributor
118 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
Libon & Porto or Lisbon & Madeira ?

I am planning to take a roadtrip through Spain and Portugal this December around Christmas time. During our trip in Portugal I have a choice either to visit Lisbon and Porto by driving from Seville through Algarve up to Lisbon and Porto and then drive back to Madrid.

The other option is drive from Seville to Lisbon and then take a flight Lisbon-Funchal and stay for two nights in Madeira. Would it be worth just stay two nights in Funchal or skip Madeira and continue drive up north to Porto.

Any idea what to see in Madeira?

Thank you.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,733 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Libon & Porto or Lisbon & Madeira ?

What's around Christmas time? Madeira has huge new year's celebrations, if you plan to go there close to new year it will be expensive (if you find availability for only 2 nights). Anyway 2 nights there is too short, it's winter, flights can have delays due to the weather, etc stay mainland you already have a very busy schedule. The Algarve is mainly a beach destination, why don't you drive Sevilla to Lisboa without going via Algarve' Also be aware about the tolls in Portugal. https:/…info-util

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/destinos

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Libon & Porto or Lisbon & Madeira ?

You could drive: Sevilla - Mérida - Evora - Lisbon.

Merida and Evora are both Unesco Heritages and worth a visit.

The Algarve will be rather empty in December.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
118 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Libon & Porto or Lisbon & Madeira ?

Thanks for the input from all of you guys.

Any idea how many days normally should we stay in Porto and what the highlights to see in Porto?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,135 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Libon & Porto or Lisbon & Madeira ?

Have a look at my trip report for ideas:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k44…

5. Re: Libon & Porto or Lisbon & Madeira ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16