We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bairro Alto Hotel vs. Hotel Avenida Palace

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Bairro Alto Hotel vs. Hotel Avenida Palace

Both of these hotels look great with Avenida Palace being more "grand" but does anyone have an opinion on either of the hotels or areas where they are located?

Thanks

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,671 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bairro Alto Hotel vs. Hotel Avenida Palace

Avenida Palace is in a flat area (if that's important) and Bairro Alto Hotel almost at the top of a hill.... Toss a coin and choose.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bairro Alto Hotel vs. Hotel Avenida Palace

Chicagoirish123,

Bairro Alto Hotel, due to its elevation, has an attractive open-air south facing terrace on one of the top floors. I've had a drink or two there, but I believe table service also offer meals. It's a little less central than Avenida Palace, by about fifteen minutes walking, or via the metro elevator between Baixa and Chiado exits, and perhaps a little less grand. My brief experience as a visitor to this elevated terrace bar was memorable for the view and the readiness of the waiting staff to chat briefly with me, and to make me welcome. I found the grand style of Avenida Palace a little intimidating, but that was just a reflection of my budget oriented custom for accomodation. The Avenida Palace has no roof terrace, but several hotels within two minutes walk of it have them, and with public access. Avenida Palace is more central for exploring on foot and by public transport.

Garry

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bairro Alto Hotel vs. Hotel Avenida Palace

Locationwise Bairro Alto Hotel is (slightly) better.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 22:45
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bairro Alto Hotel vs. Hotel Avenida Palace

ChicagoIrish123,

I agree with Alface here. Bairro Alto Hotel in Praça Camoes, while a little less central geographically, is perhaps a more vibrant area than Rossio/Restauradores where Avenida Palace is located. I'd be pleased with either, I'm sure, but Bairro Alto Hotel and its location has the edge, I'd say.

Garry

5. Re: Bairro Alto Hotel vs. Hotel Avenida Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16