We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on quiet beach accommodation not far from Lisbon

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on quiet beach accommodation not far from Lisbon

Hi there!

Planning the first trip to Portugal in early September, need some advice. We would like to combine some swimming (not in a pool) and relaxing on a beach with sightseeing. Our experience proves that it's a lot more convenient for us to stay near a beach and drive to visit attractions during the day rather than the other way around. So we will need a base for about a week where we could easily walk to a beach and swim (weather and mood permitting) and easily drive to Lisbon, Sintra and other central attractions (before relocating to another base up North).

I have heard a lot of good about Troia but judging by what I see on the pictures it's a contemporary resort with not much charm/ambiance and quite a drive to Lisbon into the bargain. What I was picturing myself was rather a sort of a secluded old fishing village or something.

We prefer staying at smaller family/boutique hotels or holiday rentals rather than huge chain resort hotels.

I would appreciate any advice.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 14:27
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on quiet beach accommodation not far from Lisbon

Sesimbra is a better option and also Ericeira. Another option is Cascais where you don't even have to drive to go to Sintra and Lisboa. You can go by bus (Sintra) and train (Lisboa).

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on quiet beach accommodation not far from Lisbon

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Are all of the places you suggested swimmable in September? I've heard someone say that "water is always cold in Sesimbra" and I presumed (maybe wrongly) that Troia being somewhat between the ocean and the river might be better protected from cold ocean water and big waves.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on quiet beach accommodation not far from Lisbon

The temperature in the ocean is rather similar around Lisboa, only the Algarve has some areas that are less cold (but even so nothing comparable to the Med, here it's the Atlantic...).

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on quiet beach accommodation not far from Lisbon

I see, thanks again.

5. Re: Need advice on quiet beach accommodation not far from Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:18