We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip--need quick help!

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Last minute trip--need quick help!

Just booked a last minute trip-

Need help!

About us:

Husband and wife - not partiers- like to walk to explore cities. Like to be close to public transport

Areas you recommend we stay? Reasonably priced

Should we visit Porto?

Also-to get to madrid, do you recommend train or flight? Thx!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip--need quick help!

Please check out the top questions, to the right of this page. You need a minimum of 2 days for Lisbon and a day for nearby Sintra. If time left you can take a train to Porto and stay there 2 days. You didn't share with us when you are planning to come. For instance if it's September you could visit the Douro valley for a day from Porto (harvest time). There are low cost flights from both Lisbon and Porto to Madrid. There's also a train from Lisbon, it's a night train. From Porto you would have to travel south to pick up this night train. There are no direct trains from Porto to Madrid.

If you have more questions, do come back and please be more specific?

9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip--need quick help!

Courtgp,

Just saw your post an it cought my eye because I had a similar question... We are going to Lisbon this Autumn and we wanted a quick and inexpensive city tour. Turns out there are groups of people in Lisbon who organize free walking tours on Mornings 10:00 and evenings 16:30 - they call it Chill-Out tours :) (http://lisbonfreetour.blogspot.co.uk/) I'm not so sure about the Chill, because they supposedly want to take you to the 7 hills of Lisbon, but I'm not against it.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip--need quick help!

Just for future reference, I think most major European cities have free walking tours available. Just google the name of the city followed by free walking tour.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip--need quick help!

I think it would be useful for you to state how many days you plan to spend altogether for your trips, otherwise it is difficult for anyone to recommend anything because there are so much to do and see in Portugal!

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip--need quick help!

A couple of years ago I travelled from Madrid to Lisbon to visit friends who were staying there and I got the train. Madrid to Lisbon was overnight in a sleeper, and I've honestly forgot whether the return trip was also overnight. It was fine, and there must have been a good reason why we took the train rather than flying - might have been cost or the hassle of airports.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute trip--need quick help!

Thank you guys SO much - unfortunately we had a change of plans and are going to postpone the trip (too last minute to line up childcare, work time off, etc). Very disappointed but will visit for sure in the near future!

Thanks again!! xx

7. Re: Last minute trip--need quick help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16