We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Plane to Barcelona

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
454 reviews
Save Topic
Train or Plane to Barcelona

I am going from Lisbon in May to Barcelona . I want the most convenient way .. Time is not a factor.

Is the train station to Barcelona in the centre of the city?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Plane to Barcelona

I think it is faster and inexpensive to travel by air. We were originally planning to go to Barcelona from Lisbon in May and found some pretty low airfares (< 70 euros) abut 6 to 8 weeks before the departure date, but we changed our plan and didn't go to Barcelona. Use Skyscanner to search and book directly on TAP Portugal.

As far as I know you have to change train in Madrid to go to Barcelona. The Lisbon Santa Apolonia train station is in the Alfama part of the city.

You can find more information on train travels on:

seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-…

Edited: 22 August 2014, 16:14
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Plane to Barcelona

Vueling low cost airlines flies there in 1h45. By train you have to take the night train from Lisbon to Madrid and change there to a train to Barcelona.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,530 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Plane to Barcelona

It takes 10 hours by train just to get to Madrid. The only train runs during the night, but it is a semi-luxury 'hotel train' operated by RENFE, Spanish Railways. You can see times and fares at their website www.renfe.com

From Madrid It's 2hrs and 30minutes to Barcelona by the fastest trains which are non-stop over the 621km journey. You to cross Madrid between the Chamartin station where the train from Lisbon arrives, to the Puerto Atocha station for the Barcelona trains. It's about 5km and can be done by suburban train.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or Plane to Barcelona

Thanks for all the useful information. I did notice the change in stations.

5. Re: Train or Plane to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:16