We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in late December early January

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in late December early January

Can only travel these times will I be put off with the weather in dec/jan. Is everything open? Could someone please advise if Porto would be ok this time of year I believe it rains most of the time!!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,530 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in late December early January

It can be wet and windy, but not particularly cold. Daytimes should be around the 14C / 55F mark, night-times it can drop to 8 or 9 C. You need to be prepared for rainy days at that time of year.

Porto, being further north and nearer the mountains, is certainly a little wetter but it doesn't rain all the time! It can get quite cold. I have seen frost on the ground there in November.

By 'is everything open' you mean tourist locations, then the answer is yes except around Christmas and New Year, when hours will vary and some places may be closed on certain days.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 12:09
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in late December early January

Thank you I was thinking of leaving Porto off and just doing day trips from lisbon but I believe Porto is lovely. Will need to pack the brolly!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,782 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in late December early January

It will probably rain a little bit more at Porto, but don't let that put you away, it's a very different city from Lisboa and deserves your visit.

4. Re: Weather in late December early January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:15