We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

Ireland
Level Contributor
343 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

We will be staying at this hotel on December 30th for 3 nights. What is the best (and cheapest!!) way of getting to this hotel on Avenida Liberdade 243? Is it metro or bus?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

Eimear99,

Metro leaves the airport every few minutes but with change at Saldanha and exit at Marquese de Pombal. Not my preferred choice with luggage. The Aerobus departs outside Arrivals every 20 minutes, for less than 4 Euro's as I recall, and Marquese de Pombal stop is enroute. Recorded announcements prepare you for the upcoming stops. If you take a look at Google Street you'll recognise it on approach. Marquese de Pombal Hotel is just a few hundred yards down Avenida Liberdade on the same side as the stop and Metro exit. The Eurobus journey will take about 20 minutes, or a bit less. Avoid Liberdade stop as you'll have to walk uphill with your luggage to your hotel. On my last two visits using Aerobus there was an attendant at the airport stop to deal with enquiries and issue tickets. yellowbustours.com/en/…

Garry

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

The metro would take about 28 min. and cost Euro 1.90 (0.50 cts for the Via Viagem card and 1.40 for a single journey) You can use the Via Viagem card again for further purchases. As Garry J explained, you have to change lines at Saldanha.

If you have luggage, take the Aerobus nr. 1.

Otherwise here's the metro website: http://www.metrolisboa.pt/eng/ It has a nice journey planner.

Ireland
Level Contributor
343 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

Many thanks for the replies! Much appreciated. Looking forward to planning the details of our trip now!

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

If you choose the metro follow the disabled access signs as that will route you via the lifts. Also get off at the Parque stop as it is a short downhill walk to the hotel much easier with luggage and I speak from experience! If you use this stop exit the metro station, turn immediately right, walk a short way, 15 m uphill to the road then go left, hotel is 50 m on the left.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

Good tips fjab!

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

Fjab,

I'll readily defer here if I'm mistaken... I have been known to occupy this state of mind!

Following your directions from Parque Metro on Google Street via the short uphill street alongside the Metro building, to Ave Sidonia Pais, turning left for 50m, I arrive on the left at Lisboa Central Park Hotel, still north of the roundabout. The website of Eimear99's hotel, the Marquese de Pombal, shows its location as 20m south of the Marquese de Pombal Metro (and Eurobus) stop on the roundabout, and not, incidentally, 'a few hundred yards' as I wrongly estimated. Have I missed something?

Garry

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

Sorry, got my hotels mixed up! A senior moment.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

I know the feeling fjab, I have my moments too.

Lisbon has the edge on Bristol and Cardiff, don't you think?

Garry

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

I was planning on using the metro to get from the airport to our hotel (HF Fenix) at Marquese de Pombal.

Are we actually better off getting the Aerobus?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to Marques de Pombal hotel??

Ross-TPO,

The metro is a couple of Euros cheaper, leaves the airport more frequently, but involves a line change at Saldanha making the door-to-door transit time potentially longer. It's this line change that's the clincher for me. It's your call, and some will prefer the metro anyway, but even with one full-size cabin bag, for me the metro can be a bit of a hike without any occasional but infrequent elevator failures. Your hotel is even nearer to the Metro and Aerobus stop than Eimear99's. Without any luggage I'd use the metro just for the fun of it. After a flight I want the quickest and simplest mode with least effort. Once you're onboard the Aerobus no.1 you've no more physical or navigation effort until you reach the stop outside your hotel.

Perhaps wait for any counter arguments to this post, and then decide.

Garry