We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cascais line

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cascais line

Hi,

My teenager son and I are coming to Lisbon next week for a slow, relaxed trip of two weeks during which we would like to mix some sightseeing and city walking with some lying on the beach and maybe trekking in nature.

I saw that there is a deal by cp.pt for Cascais line (called Beach ticket) - 12 euros for a week of unlimited travel on the line. I hope it does work. Has anyone tried it?

My main question is - what beaches (stops) would you recommend on this line? We don't surf, ideally would like to have a swim and read a book in the sun. How are the distances from train stations to the beaches?

Anything else to recommend on this line? Any suggestions very welcome.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,946 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cascais line

I have never used that ticket, but as for beaches there are Carcavelos, Estoril and Cascais itself. the line runs right alongside the river and the estuary, except for Cacavelos, If you fell out of the train window you would almost land on the beach!

At Carcavelos the beach is about 500 metres from the station. There is only a little beach in Cascais.

But I think the best beach is at Guincho, a short bus ride from Cascais.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,353 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cascais line

Yes, it works but it's limited to the train, there are several beaches along the line. We can consider the first at Caxias, then it's Paço de Arcos, Oeiras (Santa Amaro de Oeiras beach, oceanic pool (salt water) and the marina), then it's Carcavelos (the one where there are several surf schools and lots of bars/restaurants on the promenade. Next is Parede, the rocky beach where people suffering from some kind of bone diseases go to; then it starts a series of small cove beaches along the "Estoris", S. Pedro Estoril, S. João do Estoril, Monte Estoril. Finally at Estoril it starts the promenade that goes till Cascais and where there are another set of small beaches. The big windy (lots of Kit surfers there) beach it's Guincho, but to go there you can take one of the free bikes that the municipality has (called Bicas) and bike along the bike lane till Guincho (a few Kms) or take a bus close to Cascais train station.

For walking the best option is to go to Sintra (by train) and do great walks at the small mountain.

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cascais line

Thanks! Sounds very good.

We will be staying not far from Santos stop in Lisbon, so Cascais line seems an easy and budget friendly option to me for some relaxed sunny days. We will definitely visit Sintra as well. Oh, I can't wait!

4. Re: Cascais line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 06:16