We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

Good evening TA Lisbon,

I'll be in Lisbon the first week of November with 5 full days and a late evening flight to Heathrow on the evening of the 6th day (so hopefully 6 whole days!). I'm kind of dilly-dallying on if I should just visit Lisbon or squeeze in Porto as well. I will not have a rental car.

About me - I like museums, wandering around historic city centres or countryside hikes. I don't care very much for just relaxing on a beach (and I know a lot of folks visit Portugal for that). So with that said, assuming I'm spending 5 full days in Lisbon and surroundings, does this itinerary sound good?

frommers.com/destinations/lisbon/749267#stha…

Any ideas on what to do for a 6th day?

Cheers,

Vikram

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

I found a bunch of interesting places here but are some of these reachable by public transport? And more importantly, are they good enough to visit in Nov?

…fourseasons.com/travel-food-style/things-to…

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,074 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

In November you can be lucky and have great cold sunny days or cold grey days with rain (usually not days and days of rain, but it rains). Having said that you can spend all 5 days in Lisboa if you really are in to "museums, wandering around historic city centres" with day trips (by train) to Sintra and Queluz to visit it's palaces, castle, Quinta and gardens and if it's a nice day even do some hiking around them... but if you want to have the experience of knowing two completely different cities only 300kms away then squeeze Porto in for 2 days. There are about 18 trains per day between Porto and Lisboa, and since your flight is on the evening of the day 6 you can "use" that day to return from Porto to Lisboa. Oriente train station is just 3 metro stops away from the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Lisboa Airport
Lisboa Airport
Lisbon, Portugal
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

thanks for your tips. The good part is that I haven't booked any ticket and I believe one Easyjet or Ryanair, one of them has an evening departure to London from Porto. So what I could potentially do is:

Day 0 - arrive in Lisbon at 10pm

Day 1 - Sightseeing around Lisboa

Day 2 - Day trip to Sintra

Day 3 - more Lisboa or another day trip

Day 4 - train to Porto as early as possible, sightseeing in Porto

Day 5 - sightseeing in Porto

Day 6 - sightseeing in Porto and fly out to London in the evening.

Given the weather in Nov, I want to avoid the "sweeping views of the ocean" kind of places where it's all a waste if it's cold, windy and rainy.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Sintra
Sintra
Lisboa Airport
Lisboa Airport
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,074 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

Personally I think that Sintra is one of the places where one should go when the weather is ok or the views at Pena will be non-existent...so try to go there if it's not raining or foggy.

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

Thanks! Does my itn sound ok to you or are there are must-see places around Lisboa itself that could warrant me to stay for 5 days there itself? To be honest, I'm not a fan of moving from town to town every 3rd day. Having said that, I also don't want to hang around a city to visit sights that are not unique to that city (to give a London analogy - I'd stay an extra day to visit Buckingham Palace or Tower of London, but not an extra day to visit Hyde Park or Regent Park, if that makes sense).

Mentioned in this post
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
22,877 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
52,868 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
16,980 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Lisboa Airport
Lisboa Airport
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,074 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

If you like museums there are plenty of it in Lisboa, specially small ones that are not included on major tourist routes, but this is such a personal subject... You can also easily go on day trips to places like the Mafra palace/convent, Palmela castle, Tomar, Évora either by bus or train. Click on "visitas" for some info in english http://www.fronteira-alorna.pt/

http://www.casa-museumedeirosealmeida.pt/

…millenniumbcp.pt/en/…fundacao_NARC.aspx

For countryside or seaside walks the main issue may be the weather because it's November... there are also plenty around Lisboa, the easiest to reach at Sintra and Cascais.

Mentioned in this post
Tomar
Tomar
Santarem District, Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
Cascais
Cascais
Lisboa Airport
Lisboa Airport
Lisbon, Portugal
7. Re: Need some help planning my first trip to Portugal!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16