We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

december in portugal

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
december in portugal

is december a bad time to visit lisbon,estoril,sintra i was told the weather is mild - is it? thanks

Lisbon
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: december in portugal

Hi,

almost rainy weather in december...sometimes a bit cold it depends...some years we have more severe winters than the others...worst months in what concerns weather conditions are: dec,jan and feb...

i particulary love lisbon in december because of the christmas atmosphere, streets get illuminated for christmas, specially city downtown gets beautiful...

sintra has a particularity.it's a region with a so called microclime...you can have sunny weather in lisbon's city center but when you drive to sintra (usually that happenings in the mornings) it's foggy or light showers...

if i would suggest an ideal season for visiting lisbon i would suggest Spring and Autumn...

anyway, you're welcome anytime!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: december in portugal

I'm coming in the beginning of december and can hardly wait!!!

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: december in portugal

thank you for your replies - however, i was looking at the weather for december 2005 - www.wunderground.com - it showed for the month of december 2005 - 8 days of rain; 6 days clowdy - and 17 days of sun - temperture around 57 degrees - thats not bad or am i wrong?

Lisbon
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: december in portugal

Instruction01,

take a look at the metereology national institute site:

http://www.meteo.pt/en/clima/clima.jsp

you are right: last year's december was very sunny but usualy it is rainy...it depends on many weather conditions...on how our "friend", the azores anticyclone, behaves...climate has been terribly changing as you know...

keep an eye on extended forecast and if you can make a last minute decision come on and visit this wonderful city!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: december in portugal

Hi!

Compared to north Europe, and even compared to Spain (Madrid and North), our climate is much more mild due to the Atlantic Ocean influence.

So for us it can be cold be we see tourists hanging around in shorts... :-)

Rain can happen, but it's not freezing cold... :-)

6. Re: december in portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 21:17