We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Setubal - information please.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Setubal - information please.

Hello.

My girlfriend and i are looking at a two week holiday in portugal.We like the idea of spending 4 days in Lisbon and heading for the coast for the last eight days.

I have noticed Setubal and would welcome some information if possible. If it meant spending two weeks in one place and travelling around by day that would be fine.

So Lisbon airport to Setubal [how far by taxi or public transport]

Things to do in Setubal.

And any other information you can offer me.

Ps...i'm looking to go in Setember 09.

Thankyou.

Phil - London

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Setubal - information please.

I visited Setubal briefly earlier this year and put together the transport info on this TA insider page

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189163-c110276/Setub…

Setubal is a rather faded city in my opinion but does have some interesting bits.

It is an important commercial port and is not a resort by any stretch of the imagination, but about 18 miles along the coast is the popular destination of Sesimbra and across the water by ferry is the Troia district.

I haven't been to either of those places, but I am sure someone has. There will certainly be a lot of posts about Sesimbra if you use the 'search' box above.

Hope that helps.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Setubal - information please.

Thankyou - Phil

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Setubal - information please.

I spent a few months working in Setúbal a few years ago. It's quite industrial, having a shipyard, a paper mill, cement producers and other industries just outside the town. It has something of a reputation as a trouble spot, with high unemployment due to traditional industries getting into difficulties. Having said all that, the town itself is nice enough, I found the people very friendly and there are many great fish and seafood restaurant that by themselves would justify a few days.

Overall I have good memories of the place and think it's worth a visit.

However, for an 8-day stretch I think you might be better off looking at Sessimbra, Ericeira (north), Cascais (very nice but not cheap) or even the Costa da Caparica (Lisbon's cheap and cheerful beach suburb.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Setubal - information please.

Thankyou - Phil.

cambridge
Level Contributor
545 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Setubal - information please.

we were coming to this area in September, actually staying on the coast , other half a great fan of jose mourinho, wanted to see where he lives, etc, etc, now hear rumours of him divorcing because of involvment with some Italian hot tottie, but other half still loves him,!!! There must have been many visitors to this area over the years just because of him!!!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Setubal - information please.

Setúbal is as it was said an industrial city. Has a small historical and commercial centre, a lovely old monastery falling apart and a castle in the hills with a hotel inside. It is also known for its fishing history and great fish restaurants. However I agree that Setúbal is not the most beautiful portuguese town. But taking a ferry will take you to the beaches of Tróia, close by is the great Arrábida park with great beaches such as Portinho da Arrabida, Cabo Espichel and Sesimbra, Azeitão or Palmela with the castle.

Have a nice trip!

Setubal, Portugal
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Setubal - information please.

Hi! I live in Setubal! It's a great and quiet city!

From Lisbon Airport to Setubal, if you take a taxi and if you go through the highway, it will take around 45 minutes.

The city have beautiful beaches(Albarquel, Figueirinha, Galapos, Galapinhos, Coelhos, Monte Branco, Creiro, Portinho da Arrábida, Praia da Saúde, just to name a few) and Arrabida's Natural Park!

If you want, you can take a ferry and go to Troia (where you can find more beaches and a more turistic place).

You can take a minicruise across the Sado river, to see Dolphins and the landscape! We're known for having one of the most beautiful bays of the world!

Then you have a few museums: Luís Saldanha's Oceanographic Museum (in Arrabida), Museum of Work(Museu do Trabalho), Sebastião da Gama Museum, Museum of Baroque, Bocage's House, Setúbal's Museum,...

We have a lot more cultural spots: such as military heritage (S.Filipe’s Castel, now is a hotel;) as well as religious heritage (Jesus’s Covent – beautiful, right in the middle of the city, Arrabida’s Covent – right in the middle of the mountain; Igreja de S.Julião; Igreja de Santa Maria da Graça – a cathedral full of gold inside)

You can walk in the City's principal Garden: Jardim do Bonfim.

One of the principal avenues was lately renewed, and it's looking better than ever (Avenida Luísa Todi)

You can see some pictures from the city in the next links:

-Arrabida's Natural Park: http://images.google.pt/images?hl=pt-PT&q=parque+natural+da+arr%C3%A1bida&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

-Sado’s River: http://images.google.pt/images?gbv=2&hl=pt-PT&sa=1&q=rio+sado&aq=f&oq=

-Tróia: images.google.pt/images…

-Bocage’s Square: http://images.google.pt/images?gbv=2&hl=pt-PT&sa=1&q=pra%C3%A7a+do+bocage&aq=f&oq=

I hope I’ve helped you and I wish a great holiday!

cambridge
Level Contributor
545 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Setubal - information please.

Hi, no offence meant by my previous post, live and let live!!!still coming to this area in September, love Portugal and its people.

9. Re: Setubal - information please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 05:16