We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking or biking in the parque arrabida

Victoria
14 posts
Save Topic
Hiking or biking in the parque arrabida

Hello,

I am wondering whether anyone has hiked or biked through the parque natural de arrabida. We are not able to afford to rent a car or to hire a guide, but we would love to hike or bike the area.

Are there any cheap places to rent a bike from? Also, would you recommend starting from Sesimbra or Setubal? Are there any other good starting points that are accessible by bus or train?

Thanks!

Setubal, Portugal
Level Contributor
166 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking or biking in the parque arrabida

have you ried some internet research on this subject?

there seem to be a few groups of arrabida tours, but, for what i hear, it's ppl that gather and do it, rather than a paid service.

Arrabiada is a natural wild life protected park and has quite a few restricted area. watch out for that! i also hear that the Palmela area has a few circuits - off road - and the ones in the "beach front" can only be done on the road - be prepared for accentuated slopes ;) i would recomend the palmela windmill circuit, fantastic view and pitoresque

i do not know of rentals in setubal....

where are you staying? maybe your hotel or travel agency could do these arrangements.

setubal tourism stores /kiosks might be halfull for this too. There is one in Azeitão - the heart of the arrabida - and 2, if not mistaken, in the city. They might have brochures of arrabida itiiraries.

good luck. let us know.

Edited: 21 May 2010, 23:22
Lisboa - Doca de...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking or biking in the parque arrabida

Did you see bikeiberia.com?

They rent bikes with or without guide, And drop the bike where you want.

They might help you with a rout.

Sesimbra or Setubal are good starting points, but maybe inside the park is better (I don't know how fit you are-shape level). To me the best area is around "Convento da Arrabida" Great Mountain views especialy when you start going down (in direction to setubal)... down there you have another nice road from Setubal to Portinho da Arrabida along the sea and beachs

btw Portinho da Arrabida is a nice beach also (again fitness is require if you use the East entry)

But these are concrete roads... but befoure you enter the "convento da arrabida road" coming from weast, to your right you have dirt roads until the tallest cliff of continental Portugal (be carufull it doesn't have signs- well some years ago it was like this I don't know now)

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
840 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking or biking in the parque arrabida

you could also perhaps rent the bikes in Lisbon for a couple of days where there are a number of shops renting, take them by train to Setubal and return them the same way.

for hiking and biking trails, check out the Sesimbra municipality website which has info on them (with maps, and in English too). the site is quite good, it has plenty of information on things to explore and other useful stuff. here's the website

http://visit.sesimbra.pt/eng/index.html

there's also an interesting new magazine called Itinerante which describes hiking trails, and in fact in their most recent issue, features Sesimbra. they also post them online and have them in English. you can check it out at http://itinerante.pt/home/?lang=en

be sure to see the Jazida da Pedra da Mua where dinosaur footprints are to be found! that's just before Cabo Espichel. have fun!

4. Re: Hiking or biking in the parque arrabida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2010, 05:17