We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Setubal mid October?

London
3 posts
2 reviews
Setubal mid October?

Hi all

Just wondering what the weather is usually like in Setubal in mid october, from someone that has maybe been there at that time or lives there?

Many thanks in advance!

Scott

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,344 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Setubal mid October?

I've been through it a few times, in fact will be passing through on 18 October. Daytime ought to be fairly pleasant, around 70F/21C but always a chance of showers that time of year. It can get a bit windy as well, as it is right on the coast which makes it feel cool at night.

Setubal itself is not exactly a garden spot if it should be a wet and windy day.

London
3 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Setubal mid October?

Hi

Many thanks for your reply Cubsur! As long as it doesn't rain too much we should be ok.

Would you mind helping me with a few more questions on this area?

We're looking to stay up on the hill above Setubal; are you familiar with this area?

Is there much to do in Setubal then? I've read that it is quite lively with lots of restaurants and bars etc, but some people seem to say it is quite industrial in places. Are there beaches in this area that you can get to easily, for example?

And last but nit least, would you happen to know how much the train to/from Lisbon is?

Many thanks in advance again!

Scott

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,344 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Setubal mid October?

I can help a little bit. However, I have only ever visited Setubal for the day - from Lisbon!

I don't know the hills I'm afraid, but they look fairly spectacular.

Setubal is quite industrial with a large dock area. Some parts are fairly run down as well. The newer centre seemed fairly lively but it was raining when I was there. If you are a football fan, on 23rd October Vitoria Setubal are at home, ko 7.15pm. That's the Portuguese top division but you won't have any trouble getting in. Their last crowd was 2,749.

I don't think there are any beaches in town, but across the river is the popular area of Troia. You will see the big ferries making their way there. That could well be nice trip. There are beaches further along the coast on the same side as Setubal in the area of Sesimbra. I am not familiar with them, but the places is easily reached by bus. The local bus times are at http://www.tsuldotejo.pt/

Setubal is about an hour's journey from Lisbon on the trains of Fertagus. It costs €4,05 each way. Fertagus is a private company and you have to go to their ticket machines or ticket office, not those of CP the national operator.

Trains run once every hour, starting at Lisbon's 's Roma-Areeiro station and stopping at several others before they cross the spectacular bridge over the Tagus river. The timetables are on the www.fertagus.pt website - the link to the English pages is right down the bottom on the left of the start page, if you need it.

The three fast trains operated by CP do not take local passengers on that route.

The bus website I mentioned also has details of the various fast buses between various parts of Lisbon and Setubal. These don't take much longer than the train, as they can go up and over the steep hills whereas the train has to go the long way round.

I hope that helps get you on your your way as it were.

Edited: 28 September 2010, 15:13
4. Re: Setubal mid October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 08:15