We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which palace to visit?

Which Sintra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Which palace to visit?

If I only have time to visit the inside of one of Pena Palace or Sintra National Palace, which should I visit?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which palace to visit?

I would choose Pena Palace... For the architecture and view all over from the top.

Enjoy your visit!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which palace to visit?

Take your pick between Pena Palace - 19 century Prince Fernando's flashy extravaganza - and the historical/cultural significance of the "Palácio Nacional da Vila".

I would choose neither and go to Park and Palace of Monserrate where I frequently spend a quiet Sunday afternoon (ups).

twip.org/image-europe-portugal-sintra-monser…

Besides those you have also:

Quinta da Regaleira;

Hotel Palácio de Seteais (now an extraordinary hotel but you can pop in for a tea and stroll along the gardens)

Moorish Castle among others;

Sintra fully deserves a two day trip.

hope this helps

3. Re: Which palace to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 June 2009, 23:08
Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which palace to visit?

Thanks for the answers. From other research, it seems one is not clearly better to see than the other, but I think I will go to see Pena as suggested.

I don't think I have time for Monserrate, but I do plan to visit Quinta da Regaleira.

Thanks,

PolarBear

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which palace to visit?

We just returned from Portugal and would highly suggest the Pena Palace- it was over the top and the grounds are beautiful. Bring a picnic and spend the afternoon.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which palace to visit?

Pena Palace if you really have time only for ONE. Second: Quinta da Regaleira. Third: National Palace.

Fourth: Montserrate. Fifth: the moorish castle._

Queluz between Lisbon and Sintra is not really worth doing, in my opinion. If you know French palaces like Versailles or Fontainebleau, you'd be really disappointed with Queluz.

Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which palace to visit?

Thanks for more replies. I wish I could see all of them as they are all worthy of my time, but there's so much else I want to see in my limited time in Lisbon/Sintra that I will need to leave it for next time.

Still awhile until my trip, but my plan is to visit Pena Palace, and then Moorish Castle (even though you place it last, dutchguy, something really interests me about it). I will then see Quinta da Regaleira unless I am running late. I will also spend some time just exploring the town and to try one of those famous pastries.

Cascais, Portugal
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which palace to visit?

My favourite and the one to see if you only have time for one, would be Pena. But please stroll a little bit in Sintra's Old Town...

Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which palace to visit?

Went to Pena, Moorish Castle, and spent some time in the the town. I missed Quinta - it looked too far from the bus route, but looking at it on the way back to Lisbon, I realize it really wasn't, so I missed out.

Thanks for your help!

Polar Bear

10. Re: Which palace to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 04:16