We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married in Portugal

San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
Getting married in Portugal

Hi, my boyfriend and I want to get married in Portugal. I'm Portuguese and he is American. What do I need to do first? I read somewhere that I need to be living in Portugal for 30 days in order to apply for a license but I can't do it since I live in California.

Where do I start?

Thank you.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting married in Portugal

Congrats. You're correct. 30 days prior, etc. However, get your legal things done here and have a blessing done in Portugal. http://www.algarveblessings.com/legal.html

I really don't see anyway around it. Was in Sintra last year and it is truely beautiful.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting married in Portugal

it is not necessary to live in Portugal 30 days for getting married here... if you need any information, please let me know...

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting married in Portugal

Hi - my boyfriend and I are Americans living in Switzerland and want to get married in Portugal - any ideas on how I might find out about the legalities involved? Will the marriage actually be legal? Would I have the same rights as if I got married back in the United States? Thanks in advance for any advice!

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting married in Portugal

Hi I am getting Married in Portugal, I am from New york. I just got my European citizenship but my fance is american. We are not doing a religous ceremony, we want to get married by a judge. What do we have to do to go there and have a judge marry us ?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
52,045 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting married in Portugal

Go to Google and type 'getting married in portugal' in the search.

Numerous pages will come up offering advice and services and they also deal with the legalities.

These two for example

PS this type of question has nothing to do with travel and will possibly be reported as inappropriate!

Edited: 22 May 2012, 08:46
6. Re: Getting married in Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2013, 10:29