We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day of week to travel to Sintra for least crowds?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,629 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Best day of week to travel to Sintra for least crowds?

We will be staying at Sesimbra starting from Sunday, September 7th and can choose any weekday to drive to Sintra. Monday looks tempting because most other attractions/museums are closed but I'm afraid too many other people might find it tempting too ;) Is Monday really more busy day in Sintra than other weekdays?

I know that it's best to arrive as early as possible, so we will try to get there by 10:00 and find a parking spot somewhere at the top. Is there any nifty trick allowing to see everything and always walk down, not up? A whole day of sightseeing is fatiguing enough without having to climb hills all the time ;)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,782 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day of week to travel to Sintra for least crowds?

Coming from Sesimbra your 1st main concern on a weekday has to be when to cross 25 de abril bridge out of the rush hour (it starts around 8am...). In a Monday morning the palace and castle will be crowded only if a few cruise ship excursions arrive there... I like to park around the area where there's one of the entrances to the castle and the entrance to the palace called "Lakes entrance" it's the "original" entrance to the palace and if you want to walk a bit around the park it's a nice way to start your visit. After visiting the palace then exit at "the normal" entrance and walk to the castle.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,629 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day of week to travel to Sintra for least crowds?

Thanks for your tips!

How horrible is the morning traffic over the bridge? In other words, if we want to arrive at Pena/castle around 9:45, when should we start out of Sesimbra?

I'm not sure trying to beat the morning traffic before 8am will be a very smart idea for us because first we arrive quite late the night before and second everything will still be closed for hours if we arrive too early...

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,782 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day of week to travel to Sintra for least crowds?

The rush hour at the bridge is one of the worst in Lisboa area (maybe only the morning rush hour from Sintra to Lisboa is worst...). I think that you should change your arrival hour at Sintra to around 10:30 and to depart Sesimbra only after 9/ 9:15.

There's also the train from Setubal (which is the best station for Sesimbra I don't know), both at Sete Rios and Entrecampos you can change to the Sintra line, but you'll have to change again at Mira Sintra/Meleças...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,629 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day of week to travel to Sintra for least crowds?

> The rush hour at the bridge is one of the worst in Lisboa area

I drive in Moscow every day - seems like I will feel right at home in Lisboa ;)

Thanks again for all your valuable suggestions.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,782 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day of week to travel to Sintra for least crowds?

Well if things in Moscow are still similar to what I've encountered a few years ago going from the city to the airport (almost 3 hours)... you'll feel that Lisboa rush hour is a piece of cake....

6. Re: Best day of week to travel to Sintra for least crowds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Sintra