We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Visiting in October

Kent, England
Level Contributor
238 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of Visiting in October

My husband and I are thinking of visiting Madeira from Oct 1st-8th. I must admit that we don't know an awful lot of Madeira, apart from that its meant to be beautiful. I am an avid amatuer photographer and love taking photos of the landscape, nature, etc.

We really just want a week of chilling out though. We aren't in to drinking or partying, but do enjoy good, fresh food.

Do you think that a week is long enough? Where is the best place to stay? Will there be enough activities to keep us entertained? Should we look at hiring a car?

Any tips or advice on excusions, the best area to base ourselves in or info on the weather at this time of year would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

From your description, Madeira sounds perfect for you and it can be whatever you want it to be from a relaxing break to an energetic, adventurous holiday. Either way there is so much opportunity for taking good photographs. It's worth taking a look at this website to give you a feel for the many things you can do.

http://www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/index.html

I never find a week long enough but everyone is different and a week will give you an opportunity to see if Madeira is for you.

I think it would be best to stay in Funchal as it is a very pretty town with lots of good restaurants. It also has easy access to other parts of the island by organised tours, catamaran, bus, cable car, hire car or you can hire a taxi for the day.

The organised tours have a good reputation but hiring a car gives you more freedom to explore and do your own thing - just be aware that the roads for some people can be quite scary so you would need to have a confident driver.

The weather should be very nice in October. This site shows the temperatures for October last year tutiempo.net/en/…85220.htm

Madeira is a beautiful island with lovely people, dramatic landscapes, flowers everywhere and no yobs! It has many good quality hotels and restaurants in all price ranges and styles. I love the island, hope you do too.

Edited: 25 June 2011, 13:49
Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

We went to Madeira for the first time last October right at the end of the month and the weather was great. We only booked for a week because it was an extra holiday and because like you we didn't know what to expect. We loved it and in fact didn't get to do all the things we wanted to, partly because we also wanted some time to simply relax. We have booked to go again next week but for two weeks this time and hope to see a bit more of the island.

We enjoyed exploring Funchal itself and walked into the town on most days from our hotel. We took the cable car up to the gardens at Monte. We wandered through a couple of the parks but that was about it. This time we will take some tours and see a little more of Madeira.

I am sure if you were just going to explore all the time then you probably could fit in a lot more than we did in a week but if you want some time to relax then a week may be a bit tight.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
3. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 June 2011, 14:47
Kent, England
Level Contributor
238 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

What are the prices for eating out like? Is it very expensive?

Would it be warm enough for swimming in pools or the sea in early October?

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,603 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

Prices for eating out vary and are to suit all pockets. You can get a very nice 2/3 course meal in some restaurants for €17/€25 euros. Many restaurants have lunchtime specials for about €5 euros. It might help if you click on restaurants on the lefthandside of the page and read the reviews, it will give you an idea of what is available.

October may be a bit cool for sea swimming, but the locals swim all year round, depends on how cool you are used to. Many pools are heated during winter.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

There were a few people swimming in the sea from the hotel we stayed in and people were certainly in the pools.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
238 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

Was that in October?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

HI i go to madeira in early october late sept and have seen people swimming in the sea from my hotel which has sea access and certainly in the pools of my hotel and in others even in early jan when i go as well i have seen people in the sea not many but some i dont think you need to worry about sea temp most good hotels have if they do not have sea access good pools. I return to madeira in late sept all going well it is a great place for a holiday.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

Yes, we were there in late October. The pools were getting good use and some people were swimming in the sea. We were sunbathing.

10. Re: Thinking of Visiting in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 02:16