We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira Magic gardens

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Madeira Magic gardens

I have been reading Gerald Luckhurst's Gardens of Madeira, which is a beautiful book and I can highly recommend it. There is a chapter on Madeira Magic gardens, which he designed to tell the history of the island and its gardens, and the way agriculture developed. Sounds interesting.

Has anyone visited Madeira Magic, and if so are the gardens worth a visit? Is it best to do the guided tour?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeira Magic gardens

These gardens are along the Promenade walk, and personally I wouldn't take a guided tour. They are lovely but not enormous and I would think you could stroll around on your own. Personal choice. Madeira Magic is part of Pestana and the fitness/childrens centre is there as well as a cafe. This is the website link.

www.madeira-magic.com/garden.htm

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeira Magic gardens

I have such good memories of these gardens. I visited 5 years ago when they first opened and was shown around on my own by some enthusiastic young staff who were training. As well as plants local to Madeira they had plants from all over the world and these attracted many colourful butterflies and caterpillars. I had such a good day and at the end of their tour they gave me a small bunch of flowers. I then went to the rooftop at Doca do Cavacas restaurant and took a photo of my flowers and my Coral beer with the great view of Cabo Girao in the background, it was a beautiful sunny day and it's one of my favourite photos..... sorry I might have not been much help roseandvine but I've just talked myself into a revisit!!

http://www.madeira-live.com/en/gardens.html

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeira Magic gardens

Thank you both so much for your helpful replies and links. In the absence of any comments or reviews on the gardens I was beginning to think they weren't really worth visiting, but now I know different!

I will certainly pay a visit soon, but instead of taking a guided tour I will copy the relevant pages from Luckhurst's book - too heavy to lug around - and take them with me for information about the plantings, etc and the ideas behind them. When in Madeira it is so easy to think of all the plants, trees and shrubs as belonging to the island, when in fact they originate from all over the world, so I think there is a lot to learn from a visit to Madeira Magic Gardens.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madeira Magic gardens

Apparently the Panoramic Gardens of Funchal (above the Club Naval carpark) are to be turned into a childrens playground and mini golf course. Work is scheduled to completed by end July.

5. Re: Madeira Magic gardens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:41
Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands