We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

Workers of the Portuguese Air Navigation (NAV) company – including crucial air traffic controllers – announced a strike for the end of June and the beginning of July which will affect air traffic in Portugal.

From Portugal Daily View.com

"NAV workers in continental Portugal and Madeira island will strike on 29, 30 June and 3 July from 6am to 12pm and from 6pm to 10pm. On 1 and 2 July, workers will stop between 6am and 12pm and 5pm and 9pm.

In the Azores, on 29 and 30 June and 3 July workers will halt between 5am and 11am. On 1 and 2 July, another strike is scheduled between 5am and 11am and from 4pm to 10pm.

On 2 July, the union called a strike for all NAV workers for the entire morning, which is due to affect many flights in Portugal..."

Travellers are usually advised to check with their airlines and travel companies

Level Contributor
1,803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

So this is pretty much the same news that we have heard for days. Is it that is much more official or probable that the strike will happen? I am surprised that Sata has not contacted me. As of yesterday, we were still departing and arriving as scheduled.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 13:59
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

If they do walk out it gives only a six hour window for all flights. Chaos expected - airlines are making contingency plans but Madeira doesn't have any alternates!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

This has already been covered see

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189166-i434-k55…

I have been to TAP office in Funchal today and some flights appear to be cancelled or rescheduled, the 17.25 to Gatwick is still as scheduled. Advise to travellors from the customer service was contact your travel agent, check the Madeira website for the airport

www.anam.pt the timetable is updsted constantly, or alternatively ring the airport, details are in their website.

as before, I will post any fresh info if I get some.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

Madeira airport has just posted on their Facebook page asking that passengers, on strike days, confirm their flights with their airline, tour operator or travel agency before travelling to Madeira or Porto Santo airports.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

I'll just add that during the last strikes in May, we went into the TAP office in Funchal a few days before our flight home. We were told that the incoming flight from Gatwick for our date had been cancelled but our flight was still scheduled to fly back on time. We were advised that things could change..... It actually turned out to be the opposite, the flight out from Gatwick did go ahead but ours was cancelled and rescheduled for much later...... To add to the confusion, the day before our flight we received an email from TAP saying the times had changed and it had a link to the new time but when we followed this link it still showed the original time!! With a lot of help from our hotel, we tried to contact someone/anyone by phone but it was impossible to get through. Eventually our hotel spoke to the handling agents and were told that they had no record of the new flight number and we were showing up as being on the original flight!! So we prebooked our seats online and got packed ready to go at the original time the next day......eventually we were contacted by our hotel to say they had finally got the new details confirmed....... our flight ended up leaving at the much later time.

......sorry if that was exhausting but I just wanted to point out that some of the things they are trying to deal with are very last minute and their IT systems may not have been updated to reflect the latest situation. I definitely agree that it's very important that you confirm your flights and on the final day keep an eye on the airport website.

......and to everyone striking......I hope you're very proud...... Whatever your grievances are it's plain wrong to be taking this out on passengers, local businesses etc.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

Madeira has just purchased a new fire engine - the first of its type to be used in a European airport. Ironically enough, the name of this type of fire engine is called a Striker - how apt is that?!

Fingers crossed for everyone travelling to Madeira over the next week or so. It would be great if those striking called it off and realised that in these difficult economic times they are lucky to have a job. I am sure there are countless individuals on the island who would relish a job but have been unable to find anything.

Level Contributor
1,803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

I am still waiting for a reply from Sata. I am sure that they are overwhelmed with calls and inquiries. Usually, when I have a question they respond within an hour. Oh well! I checked Tap site and they have information about the strike about not on the Sata website.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 18:59
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

According to FCO Website this morning nothing has changed and action still going ahead. I am going to telephone travel agent and/or tour operator today to see if they have any information regarding specific flights. I hope I'm wrong but I think Monday will be horrendous.

How right you are QM they should not be taking their anger out on the travelling public (we are an easy target).

If I have any more info I'll post and if anyone else travelling next week has any info they could share it would be helpful.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

easyJet has been advised of potential strike action being taken by Portuguese Air Traffic Controllers from Friday 29th June through to Tuesday 03rd July.

The industrial action, if confirmed, will take place over two time periods of 06:00 to 12:00, and 18:00 to 22:00 local Portuguese time on each of the above days.

There still remains uncertainty from the Portuguese Government and ATC Unions as to whether the strike will proceed or not and thus we will hold off on taking a final decision

until 1000hrs Wednesday 27th June.

The decisions taken on Wednesday will affect Friday’s (29th) flights only. easyJet will continually assess the situation and will implement a 24hr rolling process thereafter,

thus a decision will be taken on Thursday 28th June for flights planned to operate on Saturday 30th June and so on. Contingency plans have been finalised and will involve

a mix of flight cancellations, re-timings (later departures) and some flights operating from Seville and Santiago de Compostela. Affected passengers will be advised

of any changes. All the flight details will be published on this webpage below and thus we encourage all passengers to closely monitor this information closely.

This situation is beyond easyJet’s control, however we would like to apologise for any inconvenience and we will seek to minimise the disruption for you.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air traffic controllers strike end of June start July 2012

Hi everyone. I really feel sorry for all those people that are travelling during the strike period. When you have been looking forward so much to your holiday and then this happens, it really is unacceptable. I will be thinking of all of you and sincerely hope that things work out better for you all.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands