We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back to reality....

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Back to reality....

Hi all

Well I didn't get much time to ease myself back into everday life. A drive through the pouring rain last night to get back from Manchester airport and straight back to work today.

Will put on a proper report and some reviews in due course but just wanted to mention a couple of things.

Firstly, Madeira seemed busy when we were there. Both hotels we stayed in looked fairly full. Restaurants were ticking over nicely and the streets were busy with both locals and visitors alike.

Secondly, there appears to be a lot more younger visitors going to the island (not groups of 20 year olds - younger couples and families).

Thirdly, there has obviously been quite a lot on here about the fires. This might not mean much but my heart goes out to anyone who was injured or had property, land or crops damaged by it. Hopefully they are on top of it now and will get some badly needed rain (maybe during the night - with nice sunny days!!)

Finally - this years final Sunday night emotional moment - (you'll like this one Rob) out on the balcony drinking a Coral and the singer across in the Melia was doing a rather good (honestly) version of one of my favourite songs.."Sittin' On The Dock of The Bay". You cant buy moments like that....Altogether now....

"two thousand miles I've roamed, just to make this place my home..."

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back to reality....

Lovely to read your posting. What makes the situation really bad is that many of these fires (not for the first time) were started deliberately. It breaks my heart - I understand that people are frustrated with no jobs and money but this does not help. I could easily weep at the situation of many here on the Island, not just no job, but also losing homes and pets and in many cases having no insurance. As 'immigrants' we do all we can to help by donating clothes and food but it seems so little.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back to reality....

Thanks for your post Stewy - look forward to hearing more later.

Yes, I noticed in Cliff Bay (as well as in general) there was a mixture of age groups.

Flowercity, I agree with you - this kind of behaviour solves nothing . The situation, bad though it was, could have been much worse had there been loss of human life. Very sad for those who have lost homes, pets etc.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 15:52
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,284 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back to reality....

Welcome home stewy. Glad you had a good holiday.

I love that song too, it must have great in the setting you describe.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back to reality....

Glad you had a good time Stewy interesting to see you and Laptops saying a mixture of age groups in the island good news i hope Re the fires i think people who start fires should get the sentence they deserve a long time behind bars. Re the economic situation in Madeira it seems bad from all accounts lets hope it gets better soon but i doubt it.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back to reality....

Sounds like a great trip. Look forward to your full report in due course.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back to reality....

Ah well,back to reality now(that title seems familiar)Glad you had a good holiday stewy.The temp while you were on holiday hit 97f one day according to the Daily mail.We also thought it was busy,not so much in the town in the evening.Maybe people stopping local to their hotel.What a night to remember on the Sunday.Did you see the skunk timeshare woman at the top of lido area.Had a little chat with her on our first day & she never bothered us again! Whats your thoughts on flying from Manchester again with Jet2.We did the 11 nighter which meant whole weekend to come round.Going again in Oct with Jet2 & also they are doing the 2 flights a week in 2013.I take it you flew out with strategic airways(aussie airline)Better coming back,737-200 series.Lots of legroom.Bad news about the fires.Also read it was started deliberatly.Good job the many good people in Madeira make up for the minority of bad.

Soon be Friday mate.

Rob

Edited: 24 July 2012, 20:08
Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back to reality....

I love that song too Stewy. I also Look forward to hearing more later. The pictures of the fires were really upsetting and like you my heart goes out to those affected. I hope they find those responsible. We're off next week, can't wait!

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back to reality....

Hi Stewy,

Sounds like you had a great holiday. Been way for a short break myself (not Madeira this time).

Sad to read about the fires and so sorry.

Look forward to reading more on your trip.

Have a good holiday Calderglen.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back to reality....

Welcome home Stewy. I also love that song. Phew, sounds like it was really hot when you were there but hope you had a good time. Good to hear Madeira was busy and we also noticed a lot more younger people when we were there in May.

So sad about the fires and terrible if they were started deliberately. As we know, the vast majority of Madeirans are good people and they've had enough to cope with in recent years without a few idiots adding to their problems.

Your turn next Calderglen. Hope you have a great holiday.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back to reality....

Have a lovely holiday Calderglen.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands