We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews....at last !

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Reviews....at last !

Bom dia !

Apologies for the delay but I've finally got my reviews in for our July trip.

Probably easiest to click on my profile and view my contributions...they were all put on yesterday.

Please feel free to agree, disagree, criticise, be outraged etc etc....although they are, in the main, very positive.

Cheers

SG

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews....at last !

Many thanks for the reviews you have posted. Sounds as though you had a great time once again. I was particularly interested in your review of The Residence as we are off to The Porto Mare Hotel next week. I don't remember all those activities last time we went but it was in December and not peak/school holiday period. Just one question .Did you have to wear pink to the Pink Party ?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews....at last !

Hi Mike

Thanks for the comments.

First time we went to the Residence it was also December and they didnt have that level of activity. This is the third July in a row we've been now and the amount of stuff to do has definitely increased. They seem to have a lot more staff working in this particular field.

Funnily enough, I didnt take any pink clothes with me....the wife and daughter were well covered in that area tho....! Its not compulsory to wear pink. If you do you get a discount on drinks, so if anyone in your party has pink on, get them to do the ordering. One tip, they were promoting a pink sparkling wine and if you went to the main Hotel Porto Mare reception, you could but a pink garland to take to the party...when you did this they gave you a voucher for some fizz...not sure if still doing this. Hope I havent made it sound too tacky...it wasnt at all and is actually a really enjoyable night.

Have a great holiday !

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews....at last !

Sounds like you had a great time. See you tried the Promenade and enjoyed it. Gardens aren't as good as Porto Mare but pool area better i think. As you say it is a bit deserted at night but better than it was a few years ago. I think most owners there go out of an evening. Interesting you found Solar d'Ajuda a bit smokey. We were the same last year and gave it a body swerve this year. Food was OK but gasping for breath reminded you of pubs before the ciggy ban and your clothes were reeking too. Surprised you didn't try PVP just across the road from Porto Mare (and Promenade). We found it very good and, as long as you avoid the extras, not too bad price-wise.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,935 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews....at last !

Your reviews make good reading. Re Solar Da Adjuda, have a think about trying their newish restaurant along towards Regency Palace, next time. (a couple of stops past Forum) much less crowded, lovely light open area, serving steak on the stone as well as all other favourites, also an inside eating area. Also do buffet at lunchtime between 12 & 3, up to three visits to the food, €6.90 or a couple of euros more weekends. Menu changes every day, also lunchtime sandwiches and snacks are very good. We much prefer that to the one in the Lido area, always found it too hot and cramped.

We also agree with Casa Italia, near the PO, superb staff and food, seems better than Eden Mar one - weird really all use same 'recipes'

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews....at last !

Phil - Thought about maybe trying PVP or Bella Ilha as reviews are good and, like you say, very close to hotels.

To be honest, we were half-board first week and doing a mixture of eating in and out the second week so opportunities were limited. PVP may well go on the "to do list" for next year.

Flowercity - have visited the "Eden Mar" Casa Italia in the past. Only difference I found was that the Eden Mar one gets quite busy and the one on Est Monumental seems to be a bit less frantic and more laid back.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews....at last !

HI Stewy enjoyed your reviews particulary about The Porto Mare complex i have all ways found the staff there excellent as in all Porto Bay Hotels i have been in.Interested you found the Promenade good as well it seems a fine hotel in my view one of the best Pestana hotels in the island.Thanks for the reviews Stewy glad you and your family had a great time.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews....at last !

Hi Stewy, enjoyed reading your reviews. I wrote mine for Casa Italia last night.

I also prefer the other Solar d'Ajuda. Had a nice meal there one New Years Eve.

Re Bella Illha, it seems more like a cafe than a restaurant to me(plastic tables and chairs outside), but they do fantastic coffee and lovely cheese and onion toasties and club sandwiches or pizza at lunchtime.The prices are excellent too and the staff are really nice.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviews....at last !

Intereresting reading Stewy and thanks for sharing. Always good to hear other people's views. Do you think you'll go for two weeks next year or is it too early to decide?

Scotland
Level Contributor
228 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reviews....at last !

Enjoyed your reviews, Stewy. Glad you had a good time.

Have been considering trying Pestana Promenade but somehow can't get past Porto Mare. Love all parts of that complex and even though I feel we should try new places we keep going back there.

Am in total agreement about the red vinyl seats in Solar da Ajuda. Am looking forward to trying the new place when we go in December.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reviews....at last !

Queenie...all being well we should be back for 2 weeks next year. Too early to say really but we all know that if you only go for a week you spend most of that time wishing you were there for a second week !