We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buss pass

kirkham
Level Contributor
272 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
buss pass

Can i buy a bus pass at the airport for 7 days ?we are staying at pestana promenade,would this cover travel from the airport and local buses all week?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buss pass

Flowercity will correct me if i am wrong but the bus pass will not cover you from the airport.I think it is about €3.50 one way on the aerobus.The bus pass what you mentioned can be bought almost anywhere in Funchal.We stay next door to the Pestana Promenade & we purchase them from a wine shop(next door to the Casa Italia restaurant) on the top road infront of your hotel.When we purchased ours in July it cost 50cents to activate the card & €1.25 for every trip you put on.Can be topped up anytime you want.We will be buying ours from there in just over a weeks time.

Just a little tip,put them in a wallet when you get them.We went walking up in the hills & ours got wet.It was rather embarrassing trying to explain to the bus driver.

Rob

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buss pass

Ps....The bus pass is called a Giro card in Funchal.Just covers you for all local journeys around Funchal.

Rob

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buss pass

The aerobus is 5 euros single and 7 euros50 return. I'm almost sure that the bus pass can't be bought at the airport. Rob, if you've still got your tickets you can recharge them you don't need to buy new ones.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buss pass

Yes it is not possible to buy Giro tickets from the airport but they are freely available all over. The aerobus site is this one and there is an English version

www.anam.pt/aero-bus-madeira-en-US

It tells the timetable and the stop is just outside the arrivals lounge. Just click on 'regular times' for the timetable. The bus stops just above your hotel, tell the driver the name of your hotel when you get on.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 13:09
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buss pass

PS the Giro card only can be used on the yellow city buses within certain City limits. Very useful but you cannot use it on SAM or Rodoeste buses.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buss pass

Hi Calderglen,

When i said they got wet,well that was an understatement.When we went to swipe them on the bus they fell into bits onto the floor.Hence thats why we are buying new ones.The wife has managed to get us two rail pass wallets what we will put them in.Learn by our mistakes.

Rob

kirkham
Level Contributor
272 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buss pass

Thanks for all the information i thought i would not be able to use it from the airport, but wanted to check first.

kirkham
Level Contributor
272 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buss pass

Hi Calderglen

How long does a return ticket from the airport at 7euros 50 return last? does it have a time limit?

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buss pass

I don't think it has a time limit. We have used it 2 weeks apart.

Ah, not wet Rob, drookit as we'd say up here.

10. Re: buss pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands