We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

Interesting article on Madeira blog today

madeiraislanddirect.com/blog/2013/04/portugu…

Hope it is just a hiccup...

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

I often walk through the Choupana Hills Resort on the way back to Funchal from Monte, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody there! It's a shame as it's such a lovely peaceful location with beautiful views, but I've never understood why anybody would want to build an Asian inspired resort in the European island of Madeira. It seems that just as one resort goes into decline another opens (Quinta do Lorde?) leaving yet another white elephant. Hopefully someone can rescue Choupana with some positive marketing.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

flowercity...At work & cannot access due to security measures.Can you briefly tell me what the problem is with the Melia.

Rob

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

Rob - It isn't very clear but Choupana Hills has been granted 90 days to submit a plan for its recovery to prevent its liquidation .It also mentions Melia Mare but nothing else . Are the Choupana Hills and the Melia connected in any way ,i.e. same company ?

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

I don't know what the connection is between Melia Mare and Choupana - may be Melia Hotels is something to do with the rescue plan. Melia Hotels is a Spanish owned hotel chain with hotels all over the world and I don't think there is any reason to think they are in financial trouble, whereas Choupana Hills Resort has been in serious decline for a few years and is not part of the Melia group.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

Hi Rob: Just so you can see it. Most of the article is about Choupana and then it has this

<O ‘Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa’ extends a property of 17 acres overlooking the Bay of Funchal. Its 62 rooms are divided into wooden ‘bungalows’ , built on stilts, says the projects website, the construction of which has as its main building materials wood and stone, and a decor with African and Asian influences.>

I wonder if it's just a mistake, that is certainly a description of Choupana and as you know nothing like the Melia.

I really hope things work out for them.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

queen mary - That is exactly what I thought .The description after Melia sounds like Choupana Hills . The question is ,why mention the Melia .

Hope someone can solve it .

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

Thanks everybody.Managed to read it but could not work out how the Melia was involved.

Mike..No link between the hotels.

qm...like you say,maybe a mistake.Melia doing very well for clients.Will send e-mail tonight to my friend at the Melia.

Rob

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

Rob - Let us know what it is all about .

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

I have c & P the part which mentions MMM, translation is not good but I think it is a google translation

Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa’ extends a property of 17 acres overlooking the Bay of Funchal. Its 62 rooms are divided into wooden ‘bungalows’ , built on stilts, says the projects website, the construction of which has as its main building materials wood and stone, and a decor with African and Asian influences.

The hotel opened in 2002, following an investment of EUR 24 million, the administrator, Filipe dos Santos Dumond, told the news agency Lusa, adding that "the first signs of the crisis in hospitality" occurred in 2008, getting worse up until 2010. Two years later, in May 2012, the Portuguese bank BES requested insolvency following a debt of around 700,000 euros at the time, he said.

The following month the development was declared insolvent, said Dumond, stating that the project then "repositioned the price and level of service" and also restructured human resources (currently there are 50 staff). "The product finally began, also, to be known and sought after," he said, hoping the recovery would continue.

It says it opened in 2002 but I think that is wrong, article is a bit confusing.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choupana Hills & Melia Mare news

Choupana Hills Resort celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2012 so, yes, the date in the article is correct - it opened in 2002. Hope someone buys it and keeps it going, 50 jobs is a lot to lose, and it is in a lovely setting.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands