We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

Went on flightradar24 this morning at 9.30 & saw the Thomsons flight from Manchester circle 3 times over north of the isle,also 2 other aircraft circling..Now instead of 10.55 departure its 13.15.Also other aircraft from UK including Jet2 not even shown landed yet at Funchal.

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

Madeira Airport has just put on its Facebook page that operations are now back to normal, but don't know what the problem was.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,610 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

There was a lot of cloud down earlier today and then some rain about 10.30 so my guess is poor visability. Pleased to say sun is out again now. The airport site show some flights about 3 hours late but all seem to be arriving more or less on time now. The 9.40 to Lisbon is on last call and Thomson to Manchester is scheduled to depart 13.30

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

Rob - I noticed that the 6am Thomsons flight left at 06.18 but did not land until 12.38 .

Not great if you are stuck in Funchal Airport waiting to go home .Hope Bob is OK .He will be off home today .

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

When i saw the Thomsons flight circling for third time that was at 9.30.Where did it go to between that time & 12.38?

Also noticed from Manchester it flew north of Dublin then straight down.

Mike..Dont know if you are familiar with flightradar24 website.Once you get the hang of it you can spend a bit of time on it playing boys stuff.

Rob

Edited: 17 June 2013, 15:05
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

They all diverted to Porto Santo.About 8 aircraft in total.Dont know what happens to passengers.

Presume they get off the aircraft & sit in the terminal till the weather clears then the aircraft goes across to Funchal.

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Porto Santo Island
Porto Santo Island
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

When we were not able to land in 2010 ,we went to Porto Santo airport and had to sit in the plane until the middle of the afternoon .They do not allow you off the plane ..We arrived at the hotel at about 4.30pm .It was a long day .

Edited: 17 June 2013, 15:16
Mentioned in this post
Porto Santo Island
Porto Santo Island
7. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2018, 22:40
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

Mike - I thought about Bob when I saw the topic of the thread. Flight from Funchal back to Glasgow is, according to on-line flight information, delayed by just over one hour. As the outbound flight from Glasgow departs around 9am I'm assuming Funchal airport would have re-opened when flight arrived and the delay has been caused purely by a backlog.

Rob, last few times I have flown from Glasgow to Funchal, we were routed the way you mention in (4) above - over Ireland then straight over the Atlantic.

You have put ideas into my head about flightradar 24. I have never used this before. Another example of 'boys' toys'

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

I see that the flight from Funchal to Glasgow has arrived just a few minutes behind schedule. Either the information given earlier was inaccurate or the tailwinds have broken all records.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems landing in Funchal this morning?

Great news Laptop .I am sure we will hear from Bob tomorrow .

Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands