We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Every lunch time i have checked the web cam at about 12.30 & it always look cloudy.

I know it can be decieving sometimes but i always click on the camera for the fort.That gives you a good idea of cloud coverage.

Cant recall seeing clear blue skies this month.I am no weather expert but i would say Funchal is living up to the June reputation it has got for cloud coverage.

Rob

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

That's odd, Rob, because the weather history I have shows June as having the second highest average daily hours of sunshine and the second lowest average monthly rainfall. As for temperature, it is beaten only by July, August, September and October.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

I know what you mean Rob ,but I think the Pico Fortress being higher up is often cloudy .I like to look at Catarina Park where you can tell if the sun is shining by the shade from the trees .

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Rob, can confirm in my week 7th-14th it was mostly cloudy all week after 9am, especially in Funchal. Very little sun.

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Spoke to my Maderian brother-in-law last night - he said that the weather is really not good at the moment and the forecast apparently is for the weather to not improve significantly there until November! Other friends we have also spoken to recently on the island have reported it being really cloudy for a very long period of time and colder than average temperatures for the past few months. June is however a notoriously cloudy month in Madeira.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

The cloud cover historically in June goes by the name of "capacete"

Translated it means "peaked cap"

Mike..When the cloud is not in the background of the Fort camera that means good weather in Funchal.

Think it starts about July 8th!!

Rob

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Good one Rob .Hope you are right .Soon be here .

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Funchal was cloudy most of the time i was there but with a few sunny days and on others a few sunny breaks. However when one went out of funchal on a good few days the weather was bright sunny and fairly warm especially high up.It proves how much weather can vary in Madeira however locals say it has been in general mixed weather this year so far.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Good to hear you had some good sunny days when you ventured higher up on the island Bob .Thanks for posting your reviews .

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,289 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Our week from 3rd to 10 June was mostly cloudy. There were a few sunny breaks in the cloud and you could sometimes feel the sun behind the clouds but it was very chilly at night. One of the waiters in the hotel told us it was normal weather for June. We certainly had much better weather when we were there in July and October in previous years.

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: June living up to its name of the "Blanket month)??

Lovely day in Madeira today - sun shining off the sea, looks so inviting. Can't wait for my next trip - 2 weeks today I will (hopefully) just be making my way out of the airport! To be honest, although it's lovely to have the sun, just being there is enough for me regardless of the weather. Whilst the weather might be changeable, the friendly, lovely islanders, the stunning scenary and the clean warm sea can always be relied upon.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands