We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Tourism Day

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
World Tourism Day

On World Tourism Day I managed to visit 5 museums and a church whilst on holiday in Funchal. i have posted reviews for all of them. Obviously I couldn't give them a lot of time, but, I saw enough to give me a good flavour of what they had to offer. I know which ones i will go back to for a longer visit, which ones I may go back to and also which ones I wont. I just have a couple of further observations which didn't seem to fit into any of the reviews.

None of them were well signed, if signed at all.

None of them had so much as a leaflet or anything you could take away or buy as a souvenir, save one leaflet at the Frederico Freitas museum which only covered one series of pictures by one artist.

If you happen to be in Madeira on next years day I would recommend finding out what's on offer and trying to visit something.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Tourism Day

I enjoyed reading your reviews .Not all would appeal to me but the Universo de Memorias Joao Carlos Abreu sounds very interesting .Have made a note of it to remind me for next time .

Thanks for taking the time to review them all .It must have been a very busy day for you .

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Tourism Day

Calderglen

thanks for the reviews and observations. Our favourites include: Frederico Freitas museum and Quinta das Cruzes particularly the gardens. Universo de Memorias Joao Carlos Abreu and again its gardens. We will post again on this as we have done the last couple of years...

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Tourism Day

Thanks for posting the reviews Calderglen, made very interesting reading. I'd like to go to all of them but there are three in particular that are now at the top of my list ready for my next visit. Well done for managing to fit so much into one day!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World Tourism Day

Hi Calderglen thanks for the reviews like Mike not all appeal to me but lets say some of them do look forward to visiting them all going well on my next visit.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World Tourism Day

Thanks for the review of your World Tourism Day visits Calderglen. In general I'm not much of a museums person but there are a couple that I think I'd like to visit next time I'm in Funchal. I would definitely like to visit Quinta das Cruzes gardens. Glad you had such a successful day.

6. Re: World Tourism Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands