We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another holiday over

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Another holiday over

All reviews now written. I tagged a little bit about the holiday in general and the airport onto the end of the hotel review, as this site doesn't allow you to review resorts or holidays in general. As ever I forgot a few things! The Hotel GIrassol has free wifi in reception and first floor bar and attached terrace. The roadworks on the top road haven't progressed too much. The Thomson Rep Angelo was really nice and helpful.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another holiday over

Thank you Calderglen for your reviews .I enjoyed reading them .The upper floor in the airport does seem to have changed since I was last there .

When is the Four View Monumental Hotel expected to re-open ?

2. Re: Another holiday over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 09:35
Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another holiday over

Hi Mike, it's due to re-open early March, and I'm told works are on schedule. It's had a new coat of paint on the outside.

Also forgot to mention, for people who use it, the Bella Illha has been sold and Goya, a sister restaurant to The Forte and Mozart has opened right next to it.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another holiday over

Hi Calderglen. Thanks for sharing your holiday experiences. Hotel Girassol, on the periphery of what is now the Lido Area, has been there as long as I remember. I stayed at there on one of my first visits to the island - late seventies early eighties. Most if not all of the rooms were suites with a small lounge area. Happy memories. Interesting to note that there was no single supplement - something to watch out for in the future. You will, no doubt, have seen my moans about single supplements in an earlier post.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another holiday over

Has the Bella Isla changed significantly?

6. Re: Another holiday over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 09:35
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another holiday over

Calderglen - Thank you for your reply .I am sure the newly refurbished Four Views Monumental will be very smart when it re -opens .

I have been keeping an eye on the reviews of the new Goya restaurant .We will certainly give it a try this year . It is now ranked no.63 in Funchal restaurant reviews .

Bella Illha was one of your favourite cafes . Hope it will not change too much .

Thanks for all the info.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another holiday over

Laptop, I believe all rooms in the GIrassol have separate living room/bedroom. Mr C and I have stayed there before, so when the deal came up I had no hesitation in booking it. They still do their 'meet and Greet' once a week where I met some lovely people. One couple invited me to share their table for meals which was nice. I saw your post about single supplements. Carlos, the new owners took over on January 1st and the only significant change so far is that the lovely Leno has gone.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another holiday over

"Another holiday over"..Knowing you Calderglen it wont be long before you are back in Madeira.

Good to hear you had a good holiday.Sounds like you did lots in Madeira.

Trying to picture Leno.Am i right saying he was the olive skinned lad with slicked hair?

Looking quite good around the lido area now for good restaurants.When we have been out walking all day it suits us fine just to walk across the road to dine.

Madeira is good any month of the year.

Rob

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another holiday over

Calderglen will look into your reviews when i get home all going well glad you had good time. Myself all most at the end of a great holiday weather good in general return here all going well in November and Jan next year will post my reviews and comments when i get home.However Madeira is a wonderful place to holiday.