We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Update: 9 - 16th June 2014

Enjoyed our time on Madeira Island, staying at the Porto Santa Maria Hotel, even though it was for only a one week this visit. There was so much going on in around the city.

On Tuesday 10 June it was Portugal Day, as it was a Bank Holiday and lots of shops etc., were closed, the city was not busy. We thought this would be a good day to have a walk around and catch up with the city and its narrow streets and alleyways. So many shops and cafes have closed up since out last visit 2 years ago. Waked for hours.

We then went along to the Sao Laurenco Palace and watched the Madeira Military Band marching. They all looked so smart and proud. Lots of locals and tourists taking photographs.

From Friday and through the weekend there was a Fiesta taking place in the Old Town. Again, very busy with locals and tourists. There was a parade along Rua Santa Maria on the Friday Night which was really good. The streets around the Old Town were decorated and the fairy lights also added to the atmosphere. The costumes worn by both ladies and gentlemen were bold and full of colour. Some wore flower pot hats on their heads. The Brass Band were also there playing which added to the atmosphere as they made their way through the happy crowds. Good evening.

There was a small stage in the garden near the cable car and they put on a few displays of Zumba on the Saturday, it was such fun watching. The beat of the music got everyone joining in from small children to some ladies sitting on the seats watching. They put so much effort into the routine.

Also on the Saturday evening the Firework Display was set off in the port. The Brass band played along the Rua Santa Maria and just outside the gates of the Porto Santa Maria Hotel. By 10.00 pm a large crowd gathered along the promenade wall just past the cable car. The Fireworks were excellent, lasted for about 25 mins or so. We could have watched from the hotel balcony or roof terrace but decided to go out into the crowd just for the atmosphere. It was great, watching the family gatherings and all the excited little children etc.,

On the Sunday evening we went along to Restoration Square, the small square by the Golden Gate Cafe as over the weekend they were holding a Bread Festival (organised by the Lions) with different Breads on sale that had been made throughout the island. So, many lovely breads. The bread we took back to eat on the balcony as a midnight snack with a glass of madeira wine was delicious under the light of our citrus candle. Earlier, at 8.00 pm watched the Army marching and lowering the flag outside the Sao Lourenco Palace.

Did lots and lots of walking every day in and around the city. So glad I broke my tracking shoes in well before my visit. No levada walks this visit though.

Walked up to the Pico Fortress on Sunday Morning (as cloud was forecast for the early morning) hot sun by lunchtime. Bit of a hike to get there, good view of the city. Asked if we could spare a Euro by locals. Too hard to say no, the ones that approached us really looked hard done by.

Also, walked out to the Lido Area (and back to PSM) and along the Prom to the Magic Garden Cafe, refreshed ourselves, then went into their garden. it has matured well since the last time I saw it.

Still lots of work going on along the road at the Lido, got told off by a bloke on his bicycle, I told him to invest in a bell instead of shouting.

Had some good food at O Calhau in the city. Donna Maria in the Old Town. Some nice late Buffet lunches on the terrace at the PSM (they serve buffet until 3.00 pm) Take aways from the Pingo Doce which we ate on our balcony, so hungry after walking. Called into the Golden Gate Cafe a few times for refreshment (Bob, I looked out for you each time I went there, said to my husband if a gentleman sits down asks for a Tall White Coffee, it must be Bob I will ask).

Each time we sat at an outside table in the City we were approached and asked for a Euro by both men and women. Some looked so hard done by found to too hard not to give. We were sitting there enjoying our time etc., on their island.

Really enjoyed the week. Great weather, warm sunshine, little cloud at times, warm breeze. Good food.

So much building work going on all over Funchal, just hope the budget lasts out. The area outside the PSM was just nearing completion. On Monday morning they were working further long the beach west of the cable car, compacting the pebbles, it should not be too long before this area is also completed. They were doing last minute painting at the Barreirinha on Saturday, ready for the grand opening at 10.00 am on Monday. Good to see it open again.

Look forward to our next visit........

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Pam thanks for the report glad you had a good time .Sorry i missed you Golden Gate is my favourite cafe.Agree many shops and cafes are shut compared to the past Been only approached once by a beggar never give to them drilled into me by my dad who was a policeman however i agree times are hard for some.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Pam - Thank you for a great trip report .I always enjoy reading about visitors experiences . There seemed to be plenty going on whilst you were there and it appears you made the most of your visit . The Porto Santo Maria is an excellent hotel and will be even better once all the seafront works are completed . I am sure you will be back there in the near future and things will have improved even more .

By the way , I have enjoyed reading many of your reviews especially from Tenby , many happy memories we spent there as a family .

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Lovely report Pam.I am trying to visualize the midnight snack by citrus candle on your balcony.

Sometimes the most simple things are the best in life.

Rob

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Thanks for the Trip Report Pam. It sounds as if you had a very enjoyable week. I've had O Calhau recommended by a few people and it's now on my 'to do' list. I agree the view from Pico Fortress is excellent, we've also walked up to it. I wonder if they lower the flag at Sao Lourenco Palace at 8 every night? The Fiesta over the weekend also sounds really good. Hopefully it won't be too long until you are back.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

The Flag is always lowered just on a Sunday night at exactly 8.00 pm. They stop the traffic walk out of the Palace, male and female soldiers. Walk down to the main road, do a full turn, back up the hill to the flag, blow the bugle last post, lower the flag and fold it. March back in. It takes around 10 mins.

Always go to watch. Also a few of their family members turn up to watch.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Excellent report Pam. Sounds like you had a great time: parades, fireworks, walks, good food, joining in with the locals, all the things that make Madeira special. Like Rob, I also loved the sound of your candlelight midnight snack on the balcony and I really laughed at you telling the cyclist to invest in a bell 😀.

I've never been to the Pico Fortress but now I've ventured up the hill to the wonderful Universo de Memorias I'd like to go back there and also visit the other places in that area especially Pico Fortress and Quinta dos Cruzes.

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed reading your report.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Thanks Pam, you've just added to my 'to do' list.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Really enjoyed reading your report Pam. Especially like the way you dropped in that story about the bloke on his bike...you tell him girl !!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Hi Pam.I enjoyed reading your trip report. You certainly packed a lot into your week. Thanks for sharing.

I head out a week on Monday and am already quite excited.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Visit 9th -16th June 14

Loved your trip report, your stay overlapped ours. We saw the bread fair in full swing - one day there was music with a few couples dancing on a little platform and a 'compere' on a mic whooping it up, very amusing. We spent much of our time sitting outside cafes but did not get approached once for a euro. You must have a much more softhearted appearance than us:-)

We usually do the walk up to the fort for the view but couldn't be bothered this time' we wanted a more lazy holiday.

I was impressed with the standard of finish of the beachy area outside the PSM, very smart. Can't wait to see it finished, whenever that may be.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks for the report

Caroline

Get answers to your questions about Madeira Islands