We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

Shropshire
1 post
Save Topic
When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

Hi. My Mum would love to go Maderia for her 60th but she wants to go when it is best to see the flowers. When is this and where is the best base to stay in to see them?

Thanks

Lynette

Northampton, England
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

All year round, i'd say. Due to its climate, you will never find "grey scenary" in Madeira. But, the best will be March and April, although you might get a few rainy days.

You should stay in Funchal, where you can be close to the action, but also relax. If you just want to relax, go anywhere else in the island, specially the north of the island. The green and the mountains are breathaking.

If you really want to be in quiet place, there is a paradise island that belongs to Madeira. It is called Porto Santo, and it is a 2 hours ferry distance from Funchal. It has a 6 miles wide golden sand beach, perfect for sunbathing.

You'll love, any way you see it.

Marcio.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

One of the best times is for the flower festival a three day fabulous event, this year is the 5th April well worth a visit, check the madeira4u website for more details

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

I've just got to ask one question? Is Marcio a "real" contributor to this site or is he an agent selling "Madeira" to the unsuspecting public. His comments, in reply to "postings" always reflect this!!

Beware he who wears "sheeps" clothing!!

Hi Lynette,

We have recently visited Madeira and even in January the flowers are lovely. My wife was really impressed by the gardens at Monte, near Funchal. If your Mum doesn't fancy the cable car ride up to them you can either get a taxi (cheaper) or an organised trip fron your hotel (expensive) but either way she will enjoy the Gardens. The guidebooks recommend April and May as the best time to visit for the "floral" display.

Funchal, although the Capital City, is without doubt, the best place to stay on Madeira. I cannot really recommend a hotel - the top class hotels are really expensive unless you negotiate with them. We stayed at the Regency Palace for two nights during our recent trip - it cost us 160 euros inc. breakfast in total. Give the Savoy and Reids a miss - better to book into a cheaper hotel and still use their faciliteis!! How do they know!!

If you need any more info please let me know.

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

I've just got to ask one question? Is Marcio a "real" contributor to this site or is he an agent selling "Madeira" to the unsuspecting public. His comments, in reply to "postings" always reflect this!!

Beware he who wears "sheeps" clothing!!

Hi Lynette,

We have recently visited Madeira and even in January the flowers are lovely. My wife was really impressed by the gardens at Monte, near Funchal. If your Mum doesn't fancy the cable car ride up to them you can either get a taxi (cheaper) or an organised trip fron your hotel (expensive) but either way she will enjoy the Gardens. The guidebooks recommend April and May as the best time to visit for the "floral" display.

Funchal, although the Capital City, is without doubt, the best place to stay on Madeira. I cannot really recommend a hotel - the top class hotels are really expensive unless you negotiate with them. We stayed at the Regency Palace for two nights during our recent trip - it cost us 160 euros inc. breakfast in total. Give the Savoy and Reids a miss - better to book into a cheaper hotel and still use their faciliteis!! How do they know!!

If you need any more info please let me know.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

The blue flowers of the Jacaranda trees are in bloom in May (and possibly April). The streets in Funchal are lined with these trees and they are very pretty.

You will generally see lots of flowers everywhere in Madeira and there are some lovely gardens to visit.

For a list of which flowers are in bloom when, see

madeira-web.com/PagesUK/flowers-fruit-fish.h…

Northampton, England
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

Dear supersleuthEngland,

Can you please explain me what did i tried to sell, except what i know from Madeira, because i lived there almost all my life.

If i was advertising a company or service, you would have reason to complain, but from my comments (someone who loves the island, as any other tourist that also loves the place) i don't see the reason for your comment.

If you and everybody here don't want to hear the comments from someone who's was born and lived there for long time, i'll cease my participation in this forum.

Marcio

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

Dear Marcio,

Sorry - I didn't mean to offend you by my comments. They were meant as an indication that it would be quite possible for someone with an interest in profiting from "selling" Madeira, to do so quite easily on this site. I unreservedly withdraw my comments. As you have lived on the Island most of your life your comments are valid and a help to tourists.

Once again I apologise and hope you accept my apology.

8. Re: When is it best to go to maderia to see the flowers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 00:19