We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes ?

Kent
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes ?

Going to Funchal at the end of May. Will we need to take any anti-mozzie creams and plug ins ?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,547 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes ?

Have a look at the following link :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189167-i435-k25…

Personally, never experienced any mosquito bites in Madeira.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes ?

In 11 trips I have never seen or felt mosquitoes either (and I always wear short sleeves and shorts without using any cream) but others do have an experience with them. I would not worry about it.

bath
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes ?

hi i have been bitten quite bad on two previous trips to madeira but later on in the year july/ aug suggest if you are prone to mozzie bites that you do protect yourself

London
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes ?

Mosquitos were quite bad in Funchal last year, though normally they're not a problem. There was a flurry of activity to eliminate standing water etc so I wouldn't be surprised if things are back to normal this year.

Kent
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes ?

Thanks everyone for your help. The mixed reviews suggest I'll probably err on the side of caution and take some precautions.

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
490 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes ?

Having just returned yesterday (and having read this before) thought I'd update on this one ...

Mozzies find my husband tasty and this time something LOVED him! We had supper in one of the restaurants near 'Londres' with a courtyard in a garden which I think was our downfall. Although nibbled once or twice before, this night he got numerous bites in clusters on his legs during the evening (not your typical mozzie bites but very itchy) and I got a couply of nasty ones behind my knee that are still giving hell. Have to say it was very hot and humid but take stuff with you and be prepared (we didn't bother and regretted it!)

Kent
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes ?

Thanks very much.

We had to cancel our May trip and are now going the end of October.

Will definitely take repellent with us.

Hope it didn't spoil your trip too much.

Shazsplatt.

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
490 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes ?

Hi Shazplatt

Not a chance - it was our first trip and we absolutely loved it and really didn't want to come home. We only had three full days because of bad flight times and stayed in a gorgeous Quinta (Jardins do Lago) that was so lovely we had to drag ourselves away to go and explore other places ... so the bites were just an annoying little inconvenience. Can't wait to go again.

Have a great time in October.

9. Re: Mosquitoes ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2010, 05:16