We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

Booked to stay here, all the reviews seem very positive. Is the location within walking distance from restaurants and bars etc? I know it's around a 20min walk into Funchal. Any comments from people who have stayed here?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

Pestana Promenade is central to many restaurants, walks and bars. You have numerous choice for eating, too many to mention and as you say within walking distance of Funchal. There is much going on during June, Expo 2012 and Atlantic Festival to name but two. Nearby are taxis and cheap city bus tickets which you will find usefull.

Enjoy Madeira, there is much to see and do.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

What is Expo 2012? I have seen on the webcam that a stage etc has been set up in Santa Catarina Park.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 22:13
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

I agree with everything flowercity said. I really like the Promenade and the location. I stayed there again a couple of weeks ago and I've left a review with photos. There's a nice coastal walk running past the back of the hotel too.

Hope you have a good time.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

If we did not like the Melia so much,we would give the Promenade a go.Also would like to know what Expo 2012 in the park is all about..Looks like there will be quite a few events going on for when we arrive on the 25th.One of the reasons we decided to stay these 2 weeks instead of our usual mid July.

Rob

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

Expo 2012 is an event taking place in Santa Catarina Park during June, there is a 'Big Screen' on which football and events will be shown, there is also food, entertainment and live music, free entry too. Should be very good, with something for everyone.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

To get back to the OP's question, I am just back from the Promenade and congratulate you on your choice. There are many restaurants in the close vicinity and also some a little further away that will pick you up and drop off at your hotel. The Reception staff will phone and make a booking for you so just ask them.

Pestana Promenade is one of 5 hotels on a road and if you walk past the other hotels you will see restaurants across the road from the Melia Mare, 2 hotels along. PVP is one we used and can recommend as good for what we had. If you keep walking another couple of hundred yards until the road meets the higher road you are at the Lido and there are any number of restaurants. There is also a pastelaria across this higher road there called "Boutique Lido" which does filled rolls, soup etc and is good value.

If you cross the higher road , turn right then first left and up the hill there are restaurants there "Solar d'Ajuda" halfway up the hill and right up the hill and a bit to the right at the T-junction is L'Osteria both of which I have tried and can recommend.

Back down at the main road when you come from your hotel if you look across there is a row of restaurants one floor above street level. Have tried the Chinese there which was OK but none of the others. If you turn right at the Lido (where the peculiar-looking blue-tiled Gorgulho hotel is) there is the Gran Munde chinese and a fairly good Indian restaurant then an Italian pizza-type place as you go down the hill. Tried the chinese & Indian & both good. Right down at the bottom and along to the right a hundred yards or so is Il Basilico a fairly good Italian restaurant, if a little on the pricey side.

Back to your hotel, if you fancy a bit more of a walk go up the steps to the left & across from reception to the main road and turn left. Walk about a mile until you see the Forum centre on your right then turn left down the road with a bank on far the corner and a taxi rank just past it. As you go down there are restaurants on your right and the last one, Real Canoa, which will probably be the only one with anyone in it is OK and worth a try. They do all the usual Madeira stuff - scabbard fish, meat on the skewer - and will also pick up & drop off. Only tried one other there and it seems to have gone bust. If you keep walking to the bottom of the hill you will reach the promenade where the bronze statue of Zarco is. Turn right and there is a small group of restaurants. Last one is O'Barqueiro which does sea food and is recommended here. Only tried it once and didn't like the TV blaring away with a football match. Food was OK but a little pricey I thought. Across from it is a set of steps and if you go down is another fish restaurant - Doca do Cavacas - perched out over the sea. Again OK although the staff have a reputation for being a bit surly.

There are plenty other restaurants and I am sure others will come up with suggestions. Try a taxi ride to the Fort which does a very acceptable meal with wine for an all-in price of 35 euros a head. Book through reception first though as it is very popular.

7. Re: Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Madeira