We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food choices in Madeira

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Food choices in Madeira

It's been a bit quiet on her recently and so I thought I might start the ball rolling again with a posting on favourite foods eaten whilst on the paradise island of Madeira. I hope this will give those readers who have not visited Madeira before (and those who are frequent visitors) an idea of what foods are available and give them an idea of what they might like to try out from the various menus.

One of my favourites has to be the tomato soup with poached egg! I know to some this might sound unpleasant, but believe me, it is absolutely lovely! I have tried various restaurants for this dish and to date the best I have had is at Zarcos restaurant. I am still trying other establishments though! Another of my favourites is the Espada fish with banana - yum! The menus in Madeira are very varied and offer something for everyone - but I do highly recommend the above if you are looking at the menu and don't know what to choose!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food choices in Madeira

And may I add, If you mention in the restaurant that you have seen the ZARCOS website here..

restaurantezarcos.ondebiz.com/index.php…

..you receive a FREE nightcap...Yumm.

Geoff, from madeira365.com

Edited: 13 June 2012, 17:47
Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food choices in Madeira

Absolutely love pasties, but don't ever want to see them outside Cornwall! Madeira - and Portugal - has its own answer in the pasteis de bacalhau. This has got to be one of the best appetisers ever. Easy to make yourself, but amazingly good even from the supermarket. Looking forward to a few at O Jango's Friday night.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food choices in Madeira

All of these menus are for groups. Do you know if its the same price for individuals? The food looks very nice and reasonable too.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food choices in Madeira

Yes, disappointing that their individual menus not on the Zarco website. Prices for individuals average around 20 euros per head for garlic bread starter, main course and dessert plus various drinks (or at least that is what we paid for a table of 5 in January this year). Food is superb! Views from restaurant excellent and service top class.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food choices in Madeira

O Jangos - another superb restaurant - especially their fish dishes! Gets really busy there so good idea to pre-book to avoid disappointment. Love their steak on a stone dish too!

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food choices in Madeira

I enjoy a mid morning coffee break whilst out and about in Funchal and the cake that I enjoy with my coffee is a Pasteis de Nata (Small Egg custard Tart). Love to sit under the shade of an umbrella some mornings outside the Golden Gate Grande Cafe with a long white coffee; served in a tall glass, people watching and taking in the atmosphere.

These cakes are readily available all over Funchal in Bakeries and Supermarkets. Also served at Breakfast at some hotels.

I am pleased to say, my local coffee shop now serves them here in the UK. So, I treat myself when I call in.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,706 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food choices in Madeira

Mmmmm - the garlic bread.. or better still, a steak sandwich at the Beerhouse made with garlic bread! We don't usually eat much at lunchtimes, so we'll probably share one when we're there in about 12 days time.

We're planning to try the steak-on-the-stone this year (our friend had one at Casal da Penha last year and was blown away) We've enjoyed many other steaks in Madeira over the years.

Restaurant Dona Amelia do the most scrumptious strawberry mousse-like dessert (as well as a very yummy pork casserole type main course) I'm pretty sure we'll be paying them a visit also.

Oh heck - I'm beginning to drool here!!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food choices in Madeira

I too love the tomato and egg soup, but did take a while to get used to it. My favourite buffet restaurant is Solar de Adjuda, opposite the old Madeira Palacio building, fab choice, good for lunchtime snacks also. Last night had Steak on the Stone at O'Chef Steakhouse, above Pingo Doce supermarket in the Lido, best steak, melt in the mouht, I've had in a long time.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food choices in Madeira

That sounds great. I am wondering if 20 euro is considered average or a higher priced meal at a restaurant for dinner in Madeira? I should jot down all these wonderful recommendations. I am going in just two weeks from today!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food choices in Madeira

I'm going 3 weeks tomorrow and will also be making note of some of the restaurants I haven't yet tried. That pork casserole dish followed by strawberry mousse sounds yummy - definately going to give that place a try!