We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not such a "Happy Tour"

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Not such a "Happy Tour"

Having read so much in the past about how good a tour company is Madeira Happy Tours and having told our first-timer friends that we therefore should book with them, what a disappointment!

We went into the office and booked the 10 euro per head Nuns Valley half-day trip, which included collection from our hotel.

We were the first pick-up on the day, but the Happy Tours minibus was 10 minutes late. At another hotel, a young couple got on with a baby and baby carrier/seat and asked that they should be allowed time to set it up. But the driver/guide (Patricia) set off before they could do that. We were all appalled and eventually got Patricia to pull over so the couple could sort it.

The mini-bus safety belt systems were not in good condition in that plastic covers over the anchorage ends designed to protect your hands from the sharp bits of the underlying mechanism were missing on some belts.

Patricia was late again at the Nuns Valley viewing point cafe stop - she had asked us to be back at the locked minibus at a certian time. It was extremely cold. We all assembled at the appointed time and Patricia eventually strolled over some time later after finishing her coffee or whatever.

And finally, her English language was so heavily accented that we could hardly understand a word she was saying.

Not a Happy experience and, needless to say, we didn't use that company for any other trips.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a usually excellent tour company. I hope you have let Marco know because if clients are not happy he needs to know so that he can take steps to ensure that it doesn't reoccur. It's a shame you didn't bring it to his attention before using other companies. As to being 10 minutes late, most tour buses are obviously subject to traffic conditions and you really need to be flexible on time.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

Yes, I appreciate that, Flowercity, but I only mentioned the pick-up delay as part of the overall disappointing experience. Had it only have been that pick-up delay, it wouldn't by itself have been a problem worth bringing to this Forum's attention.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

Well as I said I hope you spoke to Marco about your dissappointment because I know he would want to know if anyone was unhappy with his service. When I next see him I will mention it but it would be better from you rather than putting a bad review on TA and not notifying him. As with all tourism service, direct feedback helps to improve any shortfalls in what they provide. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

I agree with Flowercity Marco would want to know if any of his clients were unhappy with his company or staff generally on trips i have done with him his staff give good service. Pity about your problems but even the best company has what i would call off days.

funchal
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

We have to be carefull on this forum when we put a such of posts that can put down some very good companies.

JayJay say they were the first pick up but thats what jayjay thinks.

I have been working in a hotel and I was a front office employe and many times the buses, mini buses or taxis must pick up people in more hotels but when the driver arrive to make the pick up from the hotel if the client is not there at the entrance, he has to go to the reception and ask the recepcionist to call to the room to tell the client to come down.

This takes minimum 3/4 minutes and if the client take more than that the driver tell the recepcionist that he goes to pick up other clients from other hotel and will be back again.

Marco is is very good and that makes many local competitors to be very gelous and I know who wants to put down HAPPY TOURS.

Just a simple advise to Marco: Continue doing your job as you do now and dont forget that the perfection does not exist in you kind of work but you are very near of the perfection.

Competition must of the times make the good professionals to be the best profissionals.

Edited: 31 October 2012, 20:55
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

Well said Chavesdeuro i too know and most forum regulars as well who puts down Happy Tours.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
435 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

Visiting Funchal this December I would not hesitate in booking a trip with Madeira Happy Tours again. I found their trips by mini bus to be more flexible and personal with the driver giving you plenty of information on the local places of interest.

I take it an East tour could be really cold and wet especially when you visit Pico do Arieiro in December?

Edited: 01 November 2012, 21:35
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

Hi Jim. The weather last December was beautiful at Pico Areiro - needed a fleece or light jacket as it is high up. I've put more comments and some photos on your 'Best Island Tour in December' topic.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

Can I just say if jayjay or anyone else has a bad experience they are allowed to comment on it

I love Madeira and it's people but sometimes bad experiences do happen

I had one recently I haven't posted it yet as a resolution hasn't been achieved and I think it's only fair to allow it to be resolved before I post it

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not such a "Happy Tour"

I totally agree with you Steve, I think the point trying to be made is that if you voice your feelings to the Company involved they may be able to improve or try and stop what is not right, as you have done. If they don't know things are wrong they will not be able to change anything. Sorry you also had a bad experience, hope it is resolved successfully for you.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira