We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Self-Drive Tours of Madeira?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Any Self-Drive Tours of Madeira?

We'll be traveling to Madeira in 11/2013 on a cruise and are curious about any self-drive tiours (i.e. rent a car on our own and drive around with a CD, etc giving us the route and info about the sights). Does anyone know of any tours like that? Thanks, all!

Madeira Sidecar Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Lido Tours
Day Trips, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Pearl of the Atlantic
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Self-Drive Tours of Madeira?

It is possible to hire a car but you will only get a paper map. I would suggest hiring a taxi and it's driver for the day - it will be worth the money as he will tailor the day to want you want and take you to the best places. If there are 4 of you, it works out less as you pay for the car, not per person, usually around €100 - €120 per day, he will pick you up from ship and return you there in time for departure. If you self-drive you are likely to see less of the Isnad as there is only one Freeway, East to West and the rest of the roads, are often narrow, steep and not easy to negotiate. Many people do it, but if it is your first time here and only have a day, you won't get the best of your time.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Self-Drive Tours of Madeira?

I agree with Flowercity, to get a taxi for that day.

some companies are www.taximadeira.com and www.madeirataxis.com .

The only guidebook with car routes that I know is

www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/madeira.htm , written by Americans in London.

It would give you ideas as to where to go with a taxi.

It has to be mentioned that the American author told me once that there are very few automatic cars on Madeira, as Americans usually prefer.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 12:11
3. Re: Any Self-Drive Tours of Madeira?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Madeira